Tiny Homes on the Move – nomadic houses that offer an adventurous yet simpler way of life

[Permalink]

1 Like

Lloyd Kahn’s books read like zines, right down to the occasionally grainy illustrations. In spite of that (because of that?), I will be buying this book, just like I bought the others.

His last book had several pages of thumbnail-sized illustrations of up-fitted school buses. Some with VW campers hacked onto the roofs; at least one with a sailboat hacked on there. I found myself wishing I could learn more about those. Hopefully this book explores some of those homes, and doesn’t rehash too many we’ve seen before.

Very cool. I am going to get a copy and then send a copy to my brother, who gave me Some Turtles Have Nice Shells a few years ago and has always dreamed of building a vardo.

We actually had my grandfather’s copy of this 1929 book (along with others in the series), but we lost it in a basement flood about ten years back… But Appleton basically invented the mobile home.

1 Like

Gregory Lincoln Kloehn is an artist that has been making tiny homes in Oakland for the past few years. He’s gotten some press, but hasn’t updated his own site for a couple of years. There are several of his units along Beach St. in West Oakland currently.

http://www.gregorykloehn.com/

There was a splendid old AK Press (I think) book from the late 70s/early 80s called ‘Ideal Homes’ that prompted me to fuck off and live in a bus. It was fun.

Our parents picked up one of the shepherd’s huts featured in the extract about a decade ago. The guy who makes them has just been back to replace some rotted window parts but it’s great. I’ve spent a few nights in it when the house has been full of guests and with it’s tiny wood fired stove it’s very cosy

Not the most mobile though - cast steel wheels, no suspension and a nightmare to reverse as it pivots both at the front axle and at the tow-hook.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.