Tiny, poor, diabetes-wracked Pacific island nations want to ban junk food, despite risk of WTO retaliation

It’s only a matter of time before Coke sends in the troops.

1 Like

This is how the franchise wars begins, right?

2 Likes

Are these policies inherently racist? Implying that education would not work and a government overseer has to control the populations diet ‘for their own good’ because they can’t help themselves.

How is it “racist” for those countries to impose said ban for themselves?

10 Likes

Drugs like sugar and cocaine must be either forbidden or mandatory: otherwise the economy itself will eventually collapse.

2 Likes

Suicide doors were a safety feature, You wanted to be thrown clear of the crash!

1 Like

You’re still thinking like a mercantilist.

Next you’ll be saying it’s wrong to claim other countries according to vexillological theory!

2 Likes

I’m midway through the Merchant Princes novels. So perhaps I’m picking up a few bits of theory/propaganda.

If you’re in the mood for some depressing non-fiction on the topic, I’d recommend this.

If it brings you down a bit too much, this is my preferred remedy :wink:

1 Like

Here’s the basic problem:

The Emperor wrote

“As your Ambassador can see for himself, we possess all things.”

He needed silver to pay for troops to quell the occasional rebellion. The other things that British merchants could provide were much less valuable to the Emperor.

But…

perhaps they would be valuable to Chinese customers? Perhaps China could have industrialized much earlier if some Chinese entrepreneurs could buy British technology, on their own terms?

At the time of the Macartney Embassy, surely Britain had some innovations of their own? Perhaps the trade restrictions helped ensure that opium-- which can be transported, bought and sold clandestinely – became such an important component of the China trade. You can’t easily smuggle a steam engine with small fast river boats.

Humph. I mock thee. You wouldn’t need a seatbelt if you didn’t drive the carapace.

1 Like

That would be the WTO.

Next question?

1 Like

Are you saying that outsiders understand better than the locals what is the best course of action for themselves?

3 Likes

If my math is right, 1 soda per day = 5.5mm of that candy counter per day. C’mon, Randall.

They could try the Chavismo diet:

Think about it another way. It’s a slice of candy counter one fifth of an inch thick.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.