Tiny vehicles, big impact: the past, present, and future of the ingenious microcar

There’s also the fact that they can be driven (in France at least) without a licence, by anyone over 14. That includes people who have been disqualified for drink driving.

A family friend used to have a Bond Bug, which 10-year-old me thought was the coolest thing ever:

Another interesting microcar is the Invacar, which was built for the UK goverment, for leasing to disabled drivers. I’d recommend this video if you want to know what it’s like to drive one on today’s roads:

7 Likes

4 Likes

One of the problems with lots of microcars (and many bigger cars, and enclosed/cabin motorcycles) are the front pillars for the roof and and windscreen (structurally required as part of the safety requirements), they are frequently wide enough to hide a pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist/horse. Still they are cute.

For me, if you want speedy, small transport with lesser environmental impact and capable of carrying two people with some baggage then go for a motorbike, and I do know the weather limitations after several decades.

2 Likes

The last few minutes of that episode may well make it one of the worst Top Gear episodes ever.

3 Likes

I always wanted one of these

7 Likes

I miss my smart car, I crave the citroen ami “cargo”, but alas I live in the land of SUVs.

2 Likes

Our daughter has a Fiat 500, when she bought it they gave her a ridiculous lifetime warranty that she doesn’t pay for.

The car is around 10 years old. A couple years ago the power sunroof needed to be replaced, warranty covered the entire cost, over 2 grand.

But, it’s getting to the point where the clause about value of the car vs. repair cost is going to come into play.

That’s when we get a tiny car because she knows I’ll buy it at a fair price less the dad discount.

While it’s not as tiny as the tiny cars in the story, it is fun to drive.

12 Likes

or as a way to village-hop in rural France

The voiture sans permis is allowed because they recognise that if you lose your licence it could be personally disastrous in darkest rural France.

The VSP is a small two-seater car (and there are several brands) which is limited to a top speed of 45kmh (28mph). I think there’s a max engine size, too. Basically, you can drive it without a licence as long as you are insured (though insurance can be pricey if the reason for licence loss is alcohol, which it often is).

Axiom seems to be a major manufacturer and trying to make them a bit ‘sexy’. Most of the ones I end up stuck behind in rural France are ancient and look more like the one in the BBC news item above.

ETA Much of which is touched on in the Ars Technica article, of course.

6 Likes

That looks like you could stick a couple plungers on it and drive around screaming “Exterminate!” I want one!

7 Likes

Happy Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

Doctor Who Yolo GIF

9 Likes

Well, Fiat just brought out the Topolino, an electric vehicle than can be charged using a normal* plug. It’s a rebrand of the Citroën Ami, and I thought about eventually replacing my aging Smart Fortwo with it, but I’m instead trending toward a Panda or a Renault Twingo.

*240v, normal for Europe

6 Likes

tenor

3 Likes
6 Likes

The Aixam Scouty please!

2 Likes

I charge my Renault Zoe from an external 13A socket. It fills up about 12-13kWh a night at super cheap rate. 1kWh gives me about 4 miles of range as a cost of 2p a mile.

4 Likes

The Isetta used to be called the “advent car” because its door takes up the whole front of the vehicle, and a very popular German advent hymn is Macht hoch die Tür (“Fling Wide the Door”).

5 Likes

Seriously, I’d buy a Gurgel, any Gurgel, just for the name alone.

2 Likes

It seems everyone ignores the Austin Mini.

1 Like

Way too large.

5 Likes

He even made an electric car when Mr. Musk was just a toddler.

3 Likes