Tiny vehicles, big impact: the past, present, and future of the ingenious microcar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/01/tiny-vehicles-big-impact-the-past-present-and-future-of-the-ingenious-microcar.html

6 Likes

The Peel… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

That’s a Peel Trident though, not the even smaller P50

3 Likes

There is room in my heart for them all! Since they’re so small, you see!

But I love the bubble window style! So sci-fi!

I’d love one of these little guys…

Only made for the commercial, but still… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

The Microlino is a new EV with looks inspired by the Isetta:
https://microlino-car.com/en-ch/microlino

9 Likes

Love This GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

Emma Peel’s car?

5 Likes

I mean… it’s fine…

But not nearly as cute as the Peels… Now this… omg LOOK AT THE BACK WHEEL!!! :face_holding_back_tears:

Or this classic beauty!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

perfect timing;

5 Likes

As I mentioned over on Ars, I have a Fiat 500 Jolly from 1969 that positively dwarfs some of these. Since I basically use the same fake name everywhere I’ll even post a link to the BAT auction where I bought it.

13 Likes

This one looks like a solid city car:

8 Likes

DCs-EUC-Group-Ride-Carving-at-its-Best

6 Likes

I once saw a guy riding one of those down a major road (a 4 lane, heavily traveled road!)…

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

Probably the only episode of Top Gear that I’ve ever watched…

5 Likes

PEA

10 Likes

… I saw a couple riding these things down the street once, they seemed very comfortable in traffic — and then when they got to their apartment, they just picked up their vehicles and carried them inside like suitcases

5 Likes

Get ready, baby.

Gogomobile

…and just for fun

The horse’s form is perfect, knees well up at nostril height, with knees and feet perfectly level. All of that makes knocking down a rail less likely. The rider’s form isn’t, but I can’t blame him. His automatic release (a straight line from the bit to the rider’s elbow, sadly all but extinct today) and giving hand both absolve him of sin.

12 Likes

I had a ride in a BMW Isetta when I was young. It was a lot of fun. The Microlino is basically the modern electric version but it seems insanely expensive when you can get a GMW Ora for much less, which is a “real” car with 4 seats and a longer range. But SmartCars have done well.

I think a 2-seat car with minimal cargo space is great for a singleton as an alternative to a motorcycle. It’s weatherproof, for a start, and you can bring a friend along if they don’t come with a lot of baggage.

The huge problem with tiny cars is the monstrous SUVs and Pickups so many people want to drive nowadays. If governments want to increase road safety and reduce fuel use, a limit on the weight of vehicles would be a good place to start.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s ridiculous, allowing giant, heavy AF vehicles which prevent the driver from seeing pedestrians and other vehicles!

8 Likes

My uncle bought an Isetta in the 60’s and drove me to his dental office for an appointment in it. It was a very strange ride with the road just inches away from your face. He got rid of it after rolling it over a couple of times though; it’s a good thing it came with a built in roll bar.

5 Likes