To fight gun violence, Trump proposes detaining mentally ill Americans

10 Likes

8 Likes

I have a feeling the institutionalized demographics will more match the prison ones:

And that won’t jive with how the races of shooters work out:

Number of mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and August 2019, by shooter’s race and ethnicity

8 Likes

But more than a few had been previously reported to authorities by concerned friends and family. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

‘I do want people to remember the words ‘mental illness’. These people are mentally ill… I think we have to start building institutions again… We can’t let these people be on the streets.’

These people have not typically been on the streets, but let’s round up the homeless, apparently. Anyway, that’s what I read.

3 Likes

Sorry, hadn’t gotten that far in the discussion when I posted.

The west have their own equivalents

15 Likes

And don’t forget the latest: so-called Trump Derangement Syndrome.

13 Likes

Indeed.
And I’ll put the /s tag up front given how this is a fucked up idea that will end up with the mentally ill defined as anyone who opposes Trump… but if the people responsible for gun violence are right wing white supremacists, well, yes they are mentally deficient (I’ll avoid saying ‘ill’) and yes, if Trumpty wnats to lock them all up, who are we to argue? Getting all the violently-tending white supremacists locked up seems like a win.
/s - again. Because this is clearly not what he intends.

1 Like

No he didn’t. There’s degrees to evil, and I find it far more helpful to stick to facts in describing them accurately, than to gloss over them in a flat out Godwin.

Yes Trump and his foot soldiers are immoral authoritarians, perfectly capable of infringing on the rights of people with mental issues, but they’re not lining them up for the ovens.

“Lebensunwertes Leben” translates to “life unworthy of life”, or “unfit to live”, and in the context of Nazi eugenics it meant to murder disabled people and castrate those deemed racially inferior, or “anti-social”, like homosexuals or homeless people.

That’s how you deal with Hitler:
tanks

And that’s how you deal with Trump:

and I hate it to be pushed into the position of the guy “defending” Trump by pointing out the obvious.

1 Like

The problem is, if you wait for the authoritarians to start exterminating people, it’s too late. The administration and their followers have already stated their goals. They are just a few steps away from consolidating their power and following through with them. Godwinning is called for when there are concentration camps, armed white supremacist groups targeting minorities, and a “President” who has talked about ignoring term limits many times.

12 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

We need to head this shit off before it gets there, cause as you say, by the genocide time, it’s too late. Voting is still an effective strategy right now, but, this entire phenomenon (which is global in scope) needs to be countered by other kinds of activities - marches, activism, awareness raising, organizing, putting pressure where it needs to go, and even going out and opposing the out and out fascists in the streets.

10 Likes

The Nazis didn’t start out with ovens, torture, and mass graves; they started by spreading divisive rhetoric, facilitating fear and hate-mongering, and changing the laws & policies.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.