Today in history 1983: NBC airs 'The A-Team'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/23/today-in-history-1983-nbc-air.html

7 Likes

15061__twocolumncontent

12 Likes

1980something censor board: What does “B.A.” stand for?

Producers: It stands for “Bada…” uh, I mean, “Bad Attitude.” Yeah, that’s it.

13 Likes

20 Likes

ateam-plan

11 Likes

I remember exactly where I was when this aired. My Friend Greg, His GF at the time and myself on a whim piled into my 73 914 and road tripped from Seattle to Sun Valley for some skiing. We were sitting in our hotel room watching TV and the A Team came on. I remember cause the bad guy was the bad guy in a lot of the old Bruce Lee movies John Saxon. He stole the George Peppard’s boots and he wanted them back.
We also spotted Clint Eastwood in the lodge

7 Likes

Thinking about it now - is the A Team and GI Joe the reason why Gen X gun enthusiasts think that guns are safe because they grew up watching TV shows where everybody shoots guns but nobody gets killed?

14 Likes

Everyone just jumps out of a helicopter before it crashes, why do we need the FAA?

14 Likes

Aquamaniac! Maniac! On the A-Team!
And he’s planning like he never planned in dreams!

A-Team-Aquamaniac

6 Likes

Nearly every gunshot in the A-Team was followed by a ricochet sound effect so you know it didn’t hit a person.

8 Likes

In a word, no.

6 Likes

it was Captain H.M. “Howling Mad” Murdock that I wanted to play, when my friends and I portrayed the team

OMG - Me too!

Personally I was terrified a simple fender bender would turn my car into an exploding fireball!

11 Likes

A needless worry. As you know, it has to fall off a cliff first and only then can it explode into a fireball.

9 Likes

The Los Angeles underground is absolutely one of my favorite places.

I still can’t find the entrance, no matter how many manholes and sewer grates I check.

While the B.A. in B.A. Barrakus stood for bad attitude

Rigggghht…

6 Likes

No they blew up during crashes as well! I saw MacGuyver chuck flaming pine cones under a jeep to make it blow up.

3 Likes

Those guys in V used to hang out there too. Busy place in the 80s.

14 Likes

I mean, that’s when you’re up against MacGuyver! If an item can be chemically enhanced to explode; it’s going to hurled perfectly and explode fantastically. Dealing with anyone else, you’ll be able to roll out of your car before the cliff’s edge, dust off your suit, and report back to your mob boss about your failure.

3 Likes

It’s the Metro – the namers were Francophiles rather than Anglophiles, I guess.

2 Likes

My absolute favorite episode was the one where one of their old army buddies was in trouble because some greedy developer or something kept sending thugs to intimidate him, so the A-Team set up a bunch of elaborate traps, Mr. T did some welding, they busted through the gate of a chain-link fence with the van, there was a shootout where a jeep flipped over, and they resolved everything without killing anyone.

9 Likes

Gen Xer here. It’s not so much where I learned that guns are safe. It’s where I learned you have to jump out of the way of the bullets before they hit you.

4 Likes