Today in transphobia (Part 1)

It amazes me that someone who got professionally chastised for her ginned up first study and has zero experience with trans people is trying this again. Hate is a powerful motivator.

13 Likes

:thinking:

Anyone asked Jared Leto and Cillian Murphy about their roles as trans women? Or Jaye Davidson? Who am I missing?

9 Likes

The only program for kids in Texas was harassed and threatened out of existence.

9 Likes

Of course it was…

Angry Star Trek GIF

11 Likes

David Duchovny?

6 Likes

There’s a long list. Raquel Welsh. Glenn Close. Michael Caine. Sean Young. Hilary Swank.

I think the discussion is going to evolve when looking at the past. Was it in a time when the concerns about trans representation were more widely known? Certainly less so in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s.

Was the portrayal realistic and not gratuitous? Was the portrayal centered on trans experiences and lives or on cisgender discomfort and anxiety over the existence of trans people or reinforcing harmful stereotypes?

Dallas Buyers Club, Dressed to Kill, Ticked off Trannies with Knives, Myra Breckinridge. Always going to be awful. The Crying Game - I would argue was not awful - having a more fully rounded character and performance.

Lots to hash out looking all the way back. I’m sure my opinions will change some and YMMV. But - certainly since the mid/late 90’s the concerns were there - if people wanted to hear them.

Edit:

My opinions might change some reading this. Where the director calls a trans woman a beautiful boy. But his Dil character wasn’t meant to be of a trans woman.

12 Likes

Fucking fascists are bound and determined to make us a third world country. Damn…

7 Likes

Oh… Felicity Huffman in trans America?

7 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

I’m so old, I remember when John Stewart got upset about an antisemitic joke. Apparently, he will stop and can stop.

“ As these attacks continued for days, Stewart said he began to wonder what Trump was trying to accomplish. “So I start to think to myself, oh, I think this guy is trying to let people know I’m a Jew,” he said. “And I think to myself, doesn’t my face do that?” The hint of anti-Semitism didn’t escape Stewart: “It would be funny if it wasn’t so toxically crude and horrible.” (Trump has repeatedly used anti-Semitic language throughout the campaign.)”

12 Likes

Dave used to get paranoid about offending people with stereotypes before embracing them

10 Likes

Getting old and rich changes some people.

13 Likes

Star Trek Reaction GIF

8 Likes

This is the flip side of “it’s not my job to educate people”.

Sometimes I want to say that it’s not my job to educate people about whatever, but then there’s the massive tidal wave of misinformation that I have to do everything in my power to counteract.

6 Likes
13 Likes

Somebody does not know how to read the room

10 Likes

He wants to help person. Himself.

8 Likes

I guess he can’t afford LGBTQIA folks and people of color feeling comfortable in society

12 Likes

Colored? Really?

Please don’t tell him about Freddie Mercury.

But it’s true- the Trans Peoples Army would have held a gun to the head of every straight cisgender guy in the band until they transitioned.

15 Likes