Today, Michigan regulators vote on conservative education "reform" plan to purge the word "democracy" from curriculum

But the problem with “Constitutional government” is that he ignores most of the Constitution. So then they will have to rename it, again!

5 Likes

I see Betsy DeVos smelly finger prints all over this mess.

10 Likes

This should work out fine. Remember when Florida outlawed the words, “climate change?” And immediately, the climate stopped changing and everything went back the way it was. Take that, libtards!

6 Likes

Thank you for the link to that, it helped to put some perspective on the broader fight in Michigan.

I’m confident that this initiative will go nowhere (for now), but you are right. The problem that the sanity needle keeps getting budged in the wrong direction.

3 Likes

uP4cuEW

13 Likes

Thanks for the reminder that I have no business moving back.

I can’t even run with “Hey they’re better than Wisconsin!” anymore.

I wouldn’t call them “right-wing liberals” so much as “right-wing radicals”. I do remember the TR- and Eisenhower- and Rockefeller-style conservatives, and while I had serious disagreements with their positions they weren’t anywhere as destructive as the bunch of clowns who took over after the 1980s – Newt Gingrich standing as the prime example when things went over the edge.

16 Likes

Jon Stewart’s final speech on the Daily Show should be taught at schools:

So, whenever something’s been titled “Freedom, Family, Fairness, Health, America”, take a good, long sniff. Chances are it’s been manufactured in a facility that may contain traces of bullshit.

13 Likes

Why do Republicans hate America?

8 Likes

There’s a sort of refreshing honesty to their approach. I mean at least they’re not Authoritarian Fascists trying pretend they’re believers in democracy… right?

1 Like

Surely it should at least be taught in History class.

Here’s hoping the anti-gerrymandering ballot measure works as intended to finally rid Lansing of minority-party rule!

4 Likes

Apparently reality itself in words is too much for this snowflake Republican to handle.

Yes, you feckless asshole, you live in a democracy.

Get over it, and stop trying ridiculous utterly ridiculous bullshit like this please.

If you don’t like democracy, perhaps you can take you and everyone in your party where you might feel more comfortable, where religion runs the government and everyone runs around in fear of moral police from an outdated era, based on a book some guy wrote drunk a long time ago. Progress is at a standstill, women are kept in their place, and there is zero immigration, except as slave labor.

You know, your kinda place. I hear IRAN would be perfect for you.

Now please GTFO of my country and take your incredible malignant ignorance of reality with you, you worthless fuckstick. K thx bye

5 Likes

It says right there in the Constitution,
It’s really A-OK to have a revolution,
When the leaders that you choose,
Really don’t fit the shoes.
– Brewer & Shipley

1 Like

Pick the school? That’s not an option for a lot of people.

Yeah, but if the history of the US were factually reported and you got to end of the book in 2019, and you’re still rooting for the white Christian slave holders, you done it wrong. It’s kinda like watching Arrested Development and rooting for the (non-Michael) Bluths.

11 Likes

have you ever attended one? at the one i went to in texas i was surrounded by reaganites while i got my math degree and then cinton-haters when i got my teaching certificate. i had professors who tried to evangelize me and others who kept up a running diatribe against whatever potentially liberal bugaboo they’d heard about on the limbaugh show the day before.

8 Likes

Ah Texas, where teaching kids to think for themselves and learn how to analyse an argument are considered threats to the status quo.

Why? Simple. If the kids actually learn how to think, the right will lose them to the dems and the “fact based community.”

10 Likes

Can we just go with ‘Governance with American characteristics’?

6 Likes

Instead, Colbeck and his allies advocate for the meaningless, ambiguous temrs “American government” and “Constitutional government.”

I think you mean terms, Cory.

“… he gave credit to billionaire Amway heir Dick DeVos and former Michigan Republican Party Chair Ron Weiser for providing “air cover…financial contributions” for lawmakers who were wavering in their support for right-to-work [13]. Colbeck was paid $8,000 from the DeVos family just days after voting yes for the heavily protested and wildly unpopular right-to-work law essentially selling out his constituents [14].”

The money doesn’t fall too far from the tree. Nor do the nuts.

5 Likes