Michigan board votes to certify state’s election results, and in doing so, hand Trump another legal failure.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/michigan-board-votes-to-certify-states-election-results-and-in-doing-so-hand-trump-another-legal-failure.html

8 Likes

Good.

6 Likes

At this rate I’m sure we’ll have this election sorted out sometime in February. Sure, some 10%-20% of people are still going to tweet #NotMyPresident, #Trump2024, or some other nonsense. But luckily in a democracy we don’t need their permission.

3 Likes

To Trump and his minions:

4 Likes

Their (Trump’s) argument seemed to be “well, we found a handful of possibly faulty ballots, and we have these website-generated affidavits that claim some kind suspicious activity, so therefore all votes in that county should be thrown out.

If that tactic were to actually succeed then anyone could toss out the ballots from any county, just go there and deliberately make some fake ballots which you find later and then claim “widespread voter fraud!”

10 Likes

I’m glad this happened, but I am a little sad we’re in a place where we are celebrating people doing their dang jobs.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I understand that Trump has not had to worry about the legality of his actions for a while now…

But isn’t it illegal to actively subvert an election? I mean, the attempt should be illegal whether it’s succesful or not. Right?

3 Likes

That is the damn truth…

7 Likes

One good thing that come out of all this is that he has exposed some weaknesses in our institutions where the whole process working correctly relies on people adhering to norms and doing the right thing. There’s been a lot of little gaps like that showing up in the last 4 years. But if we don’t get them fixed, he’s also given a pretty clear blueprint to someone who’s actually competent.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.