Today's mass shootings

JFC this is hard to read. History resembles and repeates.

13 Likes

Stopped reading here, as the Uvalde SWAT glamour shot showed something like 8 officers with ARs

13 Likes

Yeah I caught your comment about that (either upthread or on a related thread) and I am so deeply wondering about that. And a lot of other things.

… have even more shit like this to contend with now in addition to grieving and that’s really fkd up.

Rotten. All of it.

7 Likes

After Buffalo shooting, new laws are making it hard for teachers to talk about racism

11 Likes
10 Likes

oh it only got worse:

maybe. if some of them hadn’t run in to save their own children, then denied that right to other parents – using force.

if the writer(s) were trying to make the point that we shouldn’t be asking them to be in this position. that we should disband school police units entirely. disband swat teams and other aspects of overpriced local policing in favor of actual evidence based solutions – well, then maybe that’d be a fine segue

but rightly or wrongly this is the system we have. this is what we paid them to do. this is what they begged to do: dress up in all the best gear, get all the best pay, get all the “training” … and then do nothing. do worse than nothing.

unless they start helping to dismantle this system, they do not have my sympathy. not one bit.

19 Likes
12 Likes

Thanks. Moved.

3 Likes

Gunfire erupted near the intersection of Third and South streets, police said.

At least 14 injured.

13 Likes
15 Likes
7 Likes

I have heard it said by people who were adults during the U.S. war against (North) Vietnam that, as the gorier and more upsetting images from that war were getting published, and as the U.S. public found out more about what U.S. soldiers were actually doing–nay, perpetrating–there, public opposition to the war grew. Of course, back then, Facebook and Fox and OAN etc. did not exist.

European news media do tend to publish far more graphic and disturbing images in their newspapers and news magazines than the U.S.ians, I note.

8 Likes

22 Likes
11 Likes

“We’re trying to determine exactly what happened and what led up to this taking place,” she said, adding that it’s her department’s belief that the violence was an isolated incident and there’s no ongoing public safety threat

and from last week…

same exact police department ffs

12 Likes

Beto has the receipts and it is even worse than I thought:

16 Likes

Behold! My do nothing congress critter (Who is up for re-election) flinging anything against the wall:

Fat chance.

9 Likes

7 and the weekend isn’t even finished yet
Axios: At least 54 injured, 11 killed in 7 separate mass shootings this weekend.

15 Likes

Some icing for the cake…

12 Likes

See? See? Guns aren’t the problem!

/s

11 Likes