Today's mass shootings

“new debate” :thinking:

17 Likes

same old same old. even npr has apparently decided the best framing is: wow these laws don’t work.

while they mention people sometimes avoid the laws by going to other states, it’s sure not the point of their several segments the last few days

11 Likes

California does not have strict gun laws. They have some gun laws but not strict ones.
Dissatisfied with NPR’s take on this

14 Likes

16 Likes

wow, right? remember when there were actually days between mass shootings? not more shootings than we have numbers on the calendar?

basically the golden years that comic was

9 Likes

Yeah. California has strict laws if you read the names of them, but if you look at what they actually do, they’re not nearly as strict. California’s “high capacity magazine ban?” Affects just sales. Locally. Does not affect importing them at this time since it got struck down and probably never really could be fairly enforced. The Chinese New Year gunman’s gun in California? It was purchased in the 90s, before any of these bans went into effect. He owned it that long. And there was nothing on the books suggesting it be taken away. That doesn’t strike me as “strict” at all. Strict would be forcing him and others, who the state and federal government know about because they have legally kept sales records thanks to the Brady Handgun bill, from keeping the Mac-10.

2 Likes

Minimal as they may be - California has a very low rate of gun violence. Comparatively. In the US.

It supports the efficacy of similar legislation.

11 Likes

Do you have a citation for that, or is it an assumption? I haven’t seen that in any of the reporting on the tragedy. It also doesn’t entirely make sense - those early 90’s Mac 10s were mostly open bolt, and the post-AWB models were the closed bolt ones like the one this shooter used.

10 Likes

Yeah, I saw it first in the WSJ

5 Likes

All Most of us can agree that it’s a measure of the insanity of American gun culture and regulation that such a weapon was ever available for legal purchase by civilians.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree.

It never even should have been legal for him to purchase it to begin with.

4 Likes

Thanks! Paywalled, but I’ll find it somewhere.

4 Likes

13 Likes

13 Likes

the sixth mass shooting in california this month :confused:

i fear they’re going to have to start giving them hurricane like names so we can tell them apart. ( or, you know, we could get rid of the guns. because enough is really enough already. )

12 Likes

A dark-blue Nissan four-door sedan pulled up at the scene of the shooting, Lakeland Police Department Chief Sam Taylor said.

“The vehicle slowed, did not stop, and the four windows went down. It appeared to be occupied by four shooters in the vehicle,” Taylor said. “They started firing from all four windows of the vehicle and shooting males on both sides.”

13 Likes

20 Likes

Update:

11 Likes

Watching the press conference today, our Governor was crying.

There were students at this shooting that survived the Oxford MI shooting a year and a half ago.

This never ends.

14 Likes

:pensive: no deaths, fortunately, but fuck this timeline,

17 Likes