Today's most dissonant TV news transitions: Ukraine and Applebee's

Originally published at: Today's most dissonant TV news transitions: Ukraine and Applebee's | Boing Boing

1 Like

“That’s right, folks. Applebees, official sponsor of World War III”.

[Fuddruckers would have been too on-the-nose for the most Idiotic timeline]

13 Likes

'Murica! Woo-ooo!

(we’re doomed)

5 Likes

I was listening to NYT’s The Daily the other day and there was a weirdly long instrumental break after a story about impending war in Ukraine. Then an ad came on and I understood. I’m surprised companies don’t have some language in their contracts about their ads not appearing alongside/immediately after certain kinds of news content.

6 Likes

It is a common courtesy to NOT run an airline ad next to a plane crash story, etc but I’ve never seen it in writing.

9 Likes

I hate this future.

10 Likes

Postman! This letter from Capitalism must get through!!

5 Likes

Worse, I hate this present! The future is yet to come :scream:

3 Likes

tumblr_376f1b16654d5607725649b0a985aa74_4b5e5a9f_640

11 Likes

eh, it’s only war, nothing to see here.

Makes perfect sense to me. Applebee’s is selling total war against your digestive system.

I hate myself for this but…if Putin painted tanks with BLM and antifa, that would have been the troll of century.

1 Like

I had a moment of confusion in which I thought the text “kyiv” had somehow triggered a context-sensitive ad for chicken Kiev.

3 Likes

black-mirror-in-future

5 Likes

Reminds me of the time there was a woman exercising during the coup in Myanmar.

5 Likes

I worked with airlines for many years. We used to suspend all marketing after an “incident” (nobody says “crash” in the airline business). The rumor was that it was somehow tied to regulations, but I never saw anything in writing either.

1 Like

Ride the Walrus.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.