Tom Hanks' blood could be used to develop a vaccine for COVID-19

Nah, it’ll be like Damnation Alley where a convict has to take a sample of Tom Hanks’ blood across the ravaged Trumpian landscape.

Imgur

2 Likes

Hanks is a nice guy and tends to play nice guys.

But reminder:

http://www.moviebodycounts.com/Tom_Hanks.htm

1 Like

Look at me. Look at me!

I’m your bloodstream now.

yes, I know it’s the other guy who says that

1 Like

We had that happen for real in Germany a few years ago, when DNA test kits were contaminated by DNA of a worker assembling the test kits.

3 Likes

Yikes!

1 Like
2 Likes

he’s a funny guy with his hankscine, but the CDC has been telling the health dpt where I work that people can be infected twice, meaning people aren’t developing antibodies.

1 Like

Aye thanks for linking, I just couldn’t remember how the phenomenon was called!

2 Likes

Pretty damn good job if it’s a stencil. I don’t see any bridging at all.

maybe later we found out tom hanks blood showcasing on supermarket…

It’s really not that kind of story. Give it a read. Brin’s famous post-apocalyptic story really isn’t the typical fare either. He’s a strong believer in the collective power of civilisation to overcome problems.

2 Likes

That was interesting, in terms of the logistics of how vaccines get developed. It kind of skipped over the questions I was mentioning, though; they’re talking about how the testing process could be fast-tracked, but the interviewer doesn’t raise the question of how likely it is that any of the candidates will actually work. Which seems like an oversight, because the vaccine institute guy is talking about their work on vaccines for OG SARS, MERS and HIV, and those are three viruses for which vaccines conspicuously don’t exist. Notably, the original SARS has been around for 18 years with no vaccine.

Presumably blood-borne immunity does have some role with coronaviruses, or they wouldn’t even be trying (and presumably that is how natural immunity in covid survivors works), so I’d be interested to hear more about the details there. As far as the actual biology, the video mostly stuck to the high school antibodies-and-T-cells sketch, but obviously that doesn’t cover the special difficulties with coronavirus immunity.

About a year ago, I met a really interesting guy who, it turns out, has between 600 and 1,000 biological siblings, on account of how the ethical standards for fertility medicine were a little looser in the early days.

2 Likes

He didn’t ask specifically for that but I got the impression from the conversation that it is a pretty hit-and-miss process and that it is rather unlikely to find a working vaccine very soon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.