Tom the Dancing Bug: A Calvinesque and Hobbesian look at presidential immunity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/02/tom-the-dancing-bug-a-calvinesque-and-hobbesian-look-at-presidential-immunity.html

13 Likes

Depressingly accurate.

20 Likes

On the plus side, my takeaway is that Biden now can not only order but actually perform a summary execution of Trump for treason, and it’s totes allowed. What could be a more officially Presidential duty than defending the Republic and the Constitution from those who would seek to destroy them? We’ve come full circle from Trump’s “I can kill a guy on Fifth Avenue” boast. (/s, please don’t report me to the Secret Service)

9 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

16 Likes

We’re thoroughly fucked.

5 Likes

I’m not even sure I can summon the laughing part right now. I’m just sad, 1000-yard stare Pedro while I work my way back out of freeze and into fight mode.

IMG_3898

It definitely feels that way. But the whole story isn’t written just yet. November is more important than ever and it’s always been pretty important.

15 Likes

on the bright side, at least the flag isn’t upside down :cat:

5 Likes

Here’s an impressive adjunct to that notion, aren’t “BBC presenters” supposed to be a bit cautious with their personal opinions?

TMZ link

BBC PRESENTER DAVID Aaronovitch CALLS FOR BIDEN TO HAVE TRUMP MURDERED!!!

7/2/2024 7:55 AM PT

A high-ranking BBC presenter from the UK has ignited a firestorm by suggesting President Biden should have Donald Trump murdered.

David Aaronovitch, who presents Radio 4’s “Briefing Room” show, caused an uproar with a now-deleted X post reading, “If I was Biden, I’d hurry up and have Trump murdered on the basis that he is a threat to America’s security.”

“murdered” seems a bit ‘other-side’ somehow. couldn’t trump just be Napoleon-ized to some island Gitmo-lite? -sigh-

4 Likes

Since the powers that be have already pointed out that there’s no rule against Trump running for, or even serving as President from prison, I think we know that the Supreme Court would just decide it would be perfectly fine for Trump to serve as President even if he can’t set foot on U.S. soil. Hell, they’d probably let him serve his term from Russia.

I can’t believe these are the thoughts this garbage timeline has forced me to have.

9 Likes

I’m mildly surprised no one has tried to pull down the flags on the flagpoles outside the Supreme Court, turn them upside down, and raise them again.

6 Likes

Sure is, and that’s just the first day.

Apparently, they put in some fuckery in the opinions, so they can overrule Uncle Joe if he tries anything, so the 6 traitors in the SCOTUS will need to be first in line.
Hoist 'em on their own petard, I say!

No need for executions.
Just put 'em all on a barge headed to GITMO.
Of course, that barge would have to pass thru the Bermuda Triangle to get there, so…

That’s a pretty long list. Might need several barges.
Not gonna hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen, though.
Uncle Joe would have to go full Dark Brandon from here on out.

I don’t understand why Lord Dampnut wasn’t hauled away by some TLA for espionage when it became apparent he had classified docs.

True. but this SCOTUS ruling is Lord Dampnut’s Enabling Act, & we know how that turned out.
Let’s hope it doesn’t rhyme

He was probably frequently Face-Time-ing with Vlad the first time around, so no big difference.
Except that Lord Dampnut would have to avoid skyscrapers & stairs.

3 Likes

Well, all stairs are his enemy, not just Russian ones, but the skyscraper thing would definitely be a valid concern. And any beverages that seem unusually hot, almost in a radioactive way…

3 Likes