TOM THE DANCING BUG: Senior Citizens of Counter-Earth in Kick-Butt Gear

[Read the post]

Beaten to it by T S Eliot in East Coker:
ā€œOld men ought to be explorers
Here or there does not matterā€

6 Likes

9 Likes

Also Jon Scalziā€™s ā€œOld Manā€™s Warā€ series.

9 Likes

Old people taking a lot of drugs and engaging in unprotected sex is different from our reality how?

13 Likes

Get on my lawn, punk!

15 Likes

Itā€™s kind of nice when the comic takes a break from being a horribly sobering look at some contemporary political problem :slight_smile:

(and yes, I realize itā€™s a flipside of sending young folks off to die in wars, but itā€™s not as in-your-face about it as usual)

4 Likes

didnā€™t i read something about how STDs are now an accepted presence in retirement communities, with outbreaks sometimes flaring up?

i imagine this has to do with the first wave of Boomers and their more libertine sexual attitudes reaching that age, or maybe itā€™s always been that way but society was too prude to report on it?

6 Likes

Yeah, exactly. The STD rates among the elderly has more than doubled in recent years thanks to all that unprotected sex.

5 Likes

Long-time fans know this is in fact a classic Tom the Dancing Bug strip.

4 Likes

10 Likes
3 Likes

Old folks homes provide a lot of opportunity for banging, that many in them have not encountered for decades previously, what with possibly being married or in a less sexy environment. Unfortunately, a lot of people in these homes are used to thinking primarily of birth control and since thatā€™s not an issue, they donā€™t take precautions against STIs.

My own grandmother, a generation older than the boomers, was somewhat outraged to be propositioned when she moved into a home.

8 Likes

Uh, that just made me realize: when youā€™re 80 years old, ā€œyouā€™re young enough to be my sonā€ doesnā€™t pack quite the punch it would if you were 40.

5 Likes

Wow, youā€™re right. Last weekā€™s was #1269, this weekā€™s is #335.

4 Likes

My grandfather, who was a WWII vet and spent the last fifty years of his life with a leg full of shrapnel and a dinger of a case of what we now call PTSD would agree with this. Whenever a story about the latest bout of sabre-rattling broke on the TV heā€™d cast an eye over my way and just swear. He was of the opinion that he should be on the first troop ship headed to wherever. ā€œGet rid of all us old, broken buggers first,ā€ heā€™d say. ā€œNo point in sending our young blokes over.ā€

Iā€™m pretty sure the second ship would have been filled with the politicians starting the wars.

6 Likes

Haha, fuck yeah. Thatā€™ll be me :stuck_out_tongue:

It should be the first ship, its safety/rescue gear subjected to a round or three of budget cuts before, and the ship should be scuttled at deep sea. Possibly in the northern waters, where human body loses heat fast and doesnā€™t last for more than few minutes.

3 Likes

I uhā€¦ I donā€™t have a contingency plan if I happen to live that old. Iā€™m frankly surprised Iā€™ve lived this long anyway. 16 year old high school me was pretty convinced he wouldnā€™t make it this long, anyway.

But hey if I do end up living into old age you can bet Iā€™ll be taking insane nonsensical risks. Likeā€¦ Teasing large predators and eating gas station sushi.

4 Likes

Tell me about itā€¦ Iā€™m 41 and I only just got around to going through a box full of fifteen yearsā€™ worth of superannuation correspondence :confused:

Having done shitloads of casual work as a storeman and/or forklift operator, I had dribs and drabs of super all over the place, most of which has evaporated almost entirely in fees. To me, ā€˜financial servicesā€™ will always be a euphemism for ā€˜parasitic motherfuckersā€™, but anywayā€¦ one fund had like $7k in it, so thatā€™s somethingā€¦ probably just enough to arrange for some kind of running jump into the unknown.

2 Likes