Tomb of a man doomed to spend an eternity with frogs eating his face

Can I just say that this is a torment that I wish, with all my heart, will be visited on dTrumph and his offspring, for generations to come.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m wondering about this. Mediæval people had some weird notions about the natural world, so it’s conceivable that they bizarrely thought frogs (/toads) and snakes ate corpses, but I’m wondering how much is just symbolism (and how much of the symbolism was tied into a mistaken belief that frogs ate corpses). Apparently the frogs frequently crop up as a reference to Revelation “I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon.” So you see allegorical figures in sculptures of the time, representing vanity, being eaten by “evil,” represented by frogs, snakes and worms.

So I guess… Mediæval people were weird, man.

3 Likes

Frogs on a Saint.

There could be a movie in that.

3 Likes

He is a “Curator of Manuscripts, Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies at Penn” and “Renaissance Art Historian” so you can either feel better about it because he knows what he’s doing (and possibly obtained permission) or worse because he should know better.

3 Likes

Maybe the son really didn’t like his dad.

4 Likes

IKR! Full pics or it never happened.

Cue in Odontobatrachus:

The maxillae (upper jaws) are densely set with sharply pointed, somewhat recurved teeth, some of them also occurring on the vomer.

Also, since you mentioned hell: ever heard of Beelzebufo?

3 Likes

Okay, I’m confused. Article states this chapel is at a “Protestant Temple” from the late 1300s, but Martin Luther and the Protestant movement began in the 1500s?

Brendan Fraser was in this movie, wasn’t he?

When it comes to dissing the dead, no one can compare to 14th century trolls.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.