Tony Hawk relates how he was almost ripped off by the publisher of his game

Originally published at: Tony Hawk relates how he was almost ripped off by the publisher of his game | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Sharks be sharks, but the Hawk’s vision was sharper!

13 Likes

Tony Hawk Wow GIF by X Games

19 Likes

Activision was acting like Activision even all the way back then :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Thankfully they did the 180 and gave Tony the money.

12 Likes

wow, that guy in that video looks just like Tony Hawk!

14 Likes

I guess the secret to making bank as an athlete or artist is to have a video game based on your likeness/IP.

12 Likes

A friend of mine was lead programmer on Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater

5 Likes

They’d been around for 20 years at that point, and had survived the video game crash of the '80s, so they weren’t new to being ruthless even then. Also, ripping people off is a pretty normal practice for game publishers, I’m sorry to say… that they didn’t violate his contract to do so actually puts them above other publishers.

Activision was trying to renegotiate a contract that everyone had already signed - they were hoping Hawk would wipe out (the deal), but they couldn’t force him to or they absolutely would have.

7 Likes

Oh I know that just from reading the history between Sega and Electronic Arts.

7 Likes

Tony is such a good guy. it’s so nice to know there are amazing athletes like him who also are just so down to earth and just good people.

if you follow him on twitter, he posts often about this, because it happens to him alllll the time, and he’s always so funny about it. [TSA Guy, looking at his ID]: “hey, you’re name’s Tony Hawk? like that skateboarding guy!” [Tony]: “Yeah, just like that guy.” lol

7 Likes

i knew someone would get it :wink:

7 Likes

Activision doing something scummy? That unprecedented!

3 Likes

Animated GIF

Also… two awesome humans being awesome together…

4 Likes

Just look at how happy the Hawk is that this kid just beat the 900 with a 1080.
That’s class.

Also, any time a large company is offering you anything beneficial, it’s because it’s in their favor to do so.

edited to add Hawk and Sky Brown on a megaramp.

5 Likes

Yep. Tony Hawk… 100% awesome human!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.