Top 25 weirdest and most inappropriate children's books of all time

In the same way that Steve Jobs gave us the iphone or Bill Gates gave us windows.

Make other people do the work and claim the credit.

6 Likes

I remember having one of those Little Golden Books and didn’t like one of the covers or interior pictures because they way they colored the dad’s pants looked to me like he wasn’t wearing any.

I’m still baffled as to how God gives us ice cream.

I’m less concerned about that than I am about how the priest gives us ice cream. And why it’s runnier than regular ice cream. And warmer…

I thinks that’s frequently misunderstood book. There are reasons why so many children love it. However many adults do not leave room for any interpretation beyond that of a collection of repressive cautionary tales. I don’t think that does the book justice.

1 Like

Haha - something like that.

In the words of a great American: “When in doubt I whip it out.”

Wouldn’t something from “Cat Scratch Fever” be more appropriate?

Oh, its definitely apropos.

My biggest regret in life is Miss Opportunity.

My parents used that book on me.
But not in the way it was originally intended to be used. Instead, they made it a cautionary tale about cautionary tales.

1 Like

But the whole cautionary tale angle is only part of it. The stories are also tragedies for the preschool audience. Something like the desire to play with matches is a hamartia with which a four-year-old can identify. Sure, the consequences are a bit simplistic and drastic, but those are not the most sophisticated readers.

1 Like

@daneel’s example doesn’t seem “upsetting” enough…

1 Like

Run Wrake, who made some of the early animations to feature on mTV, made an animation called Rabbit as a result of finding a set of classic alphabetical learning flash cards in a junk shop. Some of the images were standard and expected, but some were so odd that he felt they needed to be displayed. He wrote a story that wove some of the stranger elements into play. All the naming really does come from the cards.

Here’s Rabbit (backup link for embedding fail)

2 Likes

Come to think of it, what is the difference between a classical tragedy and a cautionary tale, except that the “victims” of the former tend to be kings and princes, that no one would presume to have the authority to educate?

DADA!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.