Top 5 filthiest areas in an airplane that can make you sick

There is, but that limit is often substantially higher than the recommended daily dose.

A quick megadose of vitamin C is also standard aftercare for an amphetamine overdose. It’s a strong antioxidant, and amphetamine-induced neurotoxicity is driven by oxidative stress.

Do be careful, however; too much of anything is bad for you. Talk to your doctor etc.

2 Likes

The LD50 for vitamin C is very high. It’s basically impossible to overdose on (unless, no doubt, you have some sensitivity to it).

2 Likes

You’re unlikely to kill yourself, but you could do harm.

Apart from anything else, the bacteria-killing function of white blood cells is accomplished via an oxidative mechanism. Overdoing the antioxidants too much may do the opposite of boosting your immune system.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting for a moment that vitamin C is a good thing to take in any amount. My broader point is I’m yet to be convinced its worth taking at all (assuming you don’t have scurvy and have a healthy balanced diet). My LD50 comment was not intended to suggest you can take as much a you want with no ill effects (though you might be able to, and I suspect the evidence is very thin on this).

1 Like

If you type “megadose vitamin c shorten cold” in to Duckduckgo, this is one of the first results:

1 Like

The term “megadose” simply means “multiples of the minimum daily dose”.

A “megadose” does not nessecarily come anywhere near the LD50.

Looking in my fridge, an 8oz glass of OJ contains 100% of the needed vitamin c, a glass of tomato juice 120%. I doubt either would be sold over the counter if drinking two glasses would have severe health effects.

1 Like

I used to regularly drink half a gallon of not-from-concentrate orange juice, let me assure you there are effects.

1 Like

I’ve shared an anecdote, and followed up with a link to an article summarizing a peer reviewed paper on how vitamin c megadoses can shorten colds.

I’m glad you and other posters have so many, many feelings on this issue, but frankly I’m not really interested in debating or discussing what was meant to be a simple, helpful ancedote any further.

Have a nice day!

I never said they were HEALTH effects, I just spent a lot more time in the bathroom.
Didn’t mean to sound argumentative.

2 Likes

There is a reason one of the best labs dealing with strange and potentially dangerous bugs (from virus over bacteria to parasites of any kind) is situated in Hamburg, self-proclaimed Tor zur Welt (Gateway to the World). Just have a look at what you can find online about the Bernard Nocht Institute. Luckily, I have never been a subject of great interest for their research, but I am immensely grateful for their work and their support. I would be dead without their science.

Save travels, everyone!

1 Like

I just removed a few unpleasantries from this topic.

Please don’t assume bad faith on the part of other posters. Treat anecdotes and links with the same skepticism you would any other information, but don’t accuse folks of bad faith, please (or, flag their posts if you believe them trolling.

Reader Beware if you take your medical advice solely from Boing Boing! :wink:

4 Likes

That would make it difficult for me to open the zipper, let alone aim.

On a ten-point scale, my germophobia level would be about a 4. I make a point of washing my hands before I leave the bathroom, but I don’t freak out over gas pump handles, doorknobs, tables, and so on.

1 Like

Speak for yourself!

Yeah, think about that one for awhile...

…muhahahaha!

Aww, some of them are delicious! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

To Argentina!

Terrifying fact: farts are flammable!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

To point out you are more likely to get sick after a plane trip, and where not to touch?

you may well not have a compromised immune system or be adolescent or elderly, but I assure you many are not that lucky, and for some of them 1) air travel is necessary despite the fact that 2) illness may be debilitating or life threatening.

1 Like