Top Secret Astronomy

NASA is advertising for a director of its James Webb Space Telescope, but you’ll need a Top Secret/SCI clearance.

Why might this be?

1 Like
2 Likes

Maybe to make sure he won’t take high-res photos of spy satellites in their operational orientation?

hubble can’t take pictures of earth, but james webb may be in a better position.

I assume that is because they tell him the truth about the Electric Universe.

1 Like

Optics is some pretty serious stuff. It’s the new frontier of the signal corps.

I assume it’s to do with spy satellite crossover stuff, but could it also be a way of restricting the job to Americans? Or more specifically they might have someone in mind and want an easy way to exclude other candidates.

I assume it’s to do with spy satellite crossover stuff, but could it also be a way of restricting the job to Americans? Or more specifically they might have someone in mind and want an easy way to exclude other candidates.

It’s a high profile position, so a competitive process would benefit the scientific community. This may be a result of a persistent culture of overclassification, which is a cancer on democracy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 893 days. New replies are no longer allowed.