Top Trump officials may receive pay raises while government workers remain unpaid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/04/top-trump-officials-may-receiv.html

4 Likes

Cause he only hires the bestest and they deserve the mostest… /s

14 Likes

That’s allot of money for sucking _ _ _ k.

9 Likes

My top offer is about $35

11 Likes

Too much Spirit of Capitalism, not enough Protestant Work Ethic with these clowns.

On the other claw, please don’t work any harder, Trump administration. Your self-defeating laziness is our only silver lining.

12 Likes

In Nostradumbass’ view: working as intended.

I will bet anything that his “we are staying shut down until we get border wall funding” is a flat out lie. He wants a shutdown to be able to let this bullshit happen.

4 Likes

10k isn’t worth noticing for folks who are free to enjoy some sweet sweet emoluments.

9 Likes

Aid: Sir, you’re currently under intense scrutiny for corruption, should you really be doing that?
Trump: Mmmmmm, emoluments…

7 Likes

To be fair, if you expect a cabinet member to stick around more than 6mo, you need to up the pay.

You can’t expect billionaires to work for peanuts.

6 Likes

This seems way too clever for the big Orange one. I think he just got lucky, again.

3 Likes

It’s a small solace that statistically a substantial number of these government workers have to be Trump voters.

2 Likes

Your copy and pasted text says:

“The raises appear to be an intended consequence of the shutdown”

The WaPo original says “unintended consequence”

2 Likes
3 Likes

The optics are bad here, but really, it’s not so unreasonable. There hasn’t been a raise since 2013 and now there’s about a 5%. That’s less than inflation.

I know I’m going to get angry responses comparing the lack of raises for the bottom 50% of the country, but yeah, they should be getting (at a minimum) cost of living raises as well.

2 Likes

Not so much angry, as pointing out the context that, for senior staff and cabinet members, their salary is a small amount compared to their personal wealth. The CoLI is only relevant if they have to drop all outside and investment income when they take the job.

8 Likes

I’ll assume that the actual processing of the paychecks is done by essential personal and they’re working, sending out checks to other essential personal.

But, presumably, adjusting the rate to implement the raise isn’t some automatic item in the payroll system that’s directly held back on a timer to the law, with someone updating it each year to keep holding back. More likely, it’s paperwork and data entry to process the raise and change the values used by the payroll system that cuts the check. One can assume that the person who does that data entry, or perhaps the one that submits the paperwork, or both, are NOT essential but are admin staff that’s currently not working. This would prevent it from being implemented, even if it’s not renewed in time.

After everything opens, if it’s in there or not anymore, that’s a different question then.

Plus, we all know what happens when you assume something…

1 Like

I’m sure Grover Norquist is now jizzing like there is no tomorrow over this.

2 Likes

For just $5,000 a day you can provide food for a greedy needy Trump…

1 Like

Maybe Mitch McConnell can go out and buy something purty.

3 Likes