Town's desperate search for water to fuel their real estate boom

What an absurd thing to waste water on in the desert.

16 Likes

you could say the same thing about Las Vegas, which is likely the reason Mesquite attracts golfers.

Anyway, all three cities are in a level 4 drought.

4 Likes

Yup. Don’t expect it to get any better in the next hundred years either.

6 Likes

And they start off at a golf course, for extra perversity. You live in a desert, you shouldn’t have a lawn, much less a f’ing golf course. (Actually you really shouldn’t have a lawn almost anywhere, because ecologically they’re wastelands, total dead zones.) Why even move to a desert if you pretend you’re somewhere else?

Yeah, as an argument, “of course we need the water, how else are we going to have a bunch of people move in here” is really begging the question.

I mean, there’s a reason why golf, in its modern form, originated in Scotland, a land with plentiful -constant, even - rainfall and pasturelands nibbled down by sheep… In a desert, it’s obscene.

Oh let me guess, it’s the kind of water apportionment we have in California, where it was set up in a particularly wet period, and now that it’s dry, the various entities collectively have rights to more than 100% of the water…

And they’ve developed enough to get an “urban heat island” effect from all the shopping mall parking lots…

But I’m already shocked that the citizens of, say, Phoenix aren’t collectively saying, “Well, this city has no future, time to move.” (Or, well, anyone in Florida…)

13 Likes

That’s not a golf course - this is a golf course.

Yep you can play golf in the desert, without expensive turf. I love the use of sump oil around each hole.

12 Likes

You can live in the beautiful desert…

Though, it looks a lot less beautiful with houses built all over it.

6 Likes

The Last Resort by the Eagles features the refrain “Call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye.”

In fact, the whole song works pretty well as a soundtrack to this thread.

8 Likes

And the original game wasn’t played on pristine mats of invasive species green stuff.

4 Likes

Don’t build if there won’t be enough water, but also, don’t build if there will be too much water, e.g. a flood plain or a beach.

This seems so reasonable, yet here we are with millions of homes in the desert, in flood plains, and on beaches.

5 Likes

IIRC, Jor-El was responsible for planting fruit trees on Krypton for that purpose. “This is a job for … SuperMayor!”

1 Like

And then Krypton exploded. Coincidence?

1 Like

On the next episode of Arrested Development…

6 Likes

I live in northern Utah, and we are also in a severe drought, like the rest of the western US. The golf course my husband works for has been very clear that they will water as much as they like and will pay any fine levied. For a game, not even a fun game. Fuck golf.

12 Likes

…meanwhile, ten times as much actual, working farmland is being paved over to make suburban subdivisions, because we couldn’t possibly build any sort of dense housing on (or even near!) these golf courses.

8 Likes

One of the hidden services golf courses located next to residential development provide is a place for

pee
and
poop
[etc.]

(i.e. blackwater, and often graywater).

Aka “wastewater” … though where I live, the idea of wasting any water, or appending “water” with the word “waste” in dang near blasphemous.

My guess is that, unless every building in this town has a dry-composting toilet or other waterless method for dealing with its sewage, and zero kitchen or bathing facilities, this golf course has been engineered to accept some form of treated effluent created by the people who live/work there.

The worldwide practice of spraying treated effluent on golf courses (and other land applications of effluent, sludge, etc.) has been a civil engineering standard for a long time.

https://denr.sd.gov/des/sw/septagelandapp.aspx

That’s good news.

I am no fan of conventional golf courses, with their slavish devotion to an unholy collection of pesticides to keep everything looking a particular way, their usual construction at the expense of clean water aquifers, native flora and fauna, and reliance of supplemental (clean) water in cases when the soil biota gets borked from all the effluent and the many chemical hitchhikers, pollutants and pathogens typically found therein, and needs a rinse.

Public Health Concerns About Chemical Constituents in Treated Wastewater and Sludge

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) identified Priority Pollutants in regulations that deal with municipal and industrial wastewater (EPA, 1984) due to their toxicity to humans and the aquatic environment. These Priority Pollutants are divided into four classes: (1) heavy metals(oftentimes referred to as trace elements or trace metals) and cyanide, (2) volatile organic compounds,(3) semivolatile organic compounds, and (4) pesticides and poly-chlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). In addition, nontoxic organic compounds in wastewater can be transformed into potentially toxic chlorinated organic compounds, such as trihalomethanes, when chlorine is used for disinfection purposes (National Research Council, 1980).

7 Likes

Bothell, you say?

7 Likes

You have plenty access to fusion power in the desert. Solar!

1 Like

I wonder how people will look at videos like this one in 50-100 years.

Nope. It depends on your latitude, though lack of appreciable cloud cover can help.

I don’t really see how you could possibly think I was talking about polar deserts in this thread about a town in Utah, but congratulations on being such a smartypants.

2 Likes