Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Jinx, @DukeTrout

Happy Summer GIF by The Coca-Cola Company South East Africa

10 Likes

As a leading edge Gen X male who grew up with “white” on his birth certificate, I agree. When you grow up in that culture you’re taught that you’re the rational one. That it’s only natural that you should be a leader, and so you forget to second guess your thoughts.

It’s not just Old White Men that do this, mind, we humans as a rule make our decisions earlier than we realize, and those decisions bias our “logic” and “reason”. It’s just that Older White Men aren’t used to being called out on it, and don’t engage in internal devil’s advocate as much to avoid ridicule.

For the record, I don’t think Biden should step down, though I entertain thoughts of him stepping down in early 2027 to let President Harris enjoy the incumbent bonus for reelection and governing for 10 full years, the max allowed by the constitution.

8 Likes
7 Likes

I agree here:

As a leading edge Gen X male who grew up with “white” on his birth certificate, I agree. When you grow up in that culture you’re taught that you’re the rational one. That it’s only natural that you should be a leader, and so you forget to second guess your thoughts.

However, this here?

It’s not just Old White Men that do this, mind, we humans as a rule make our decisions earlier than we realize, and those decisions bias our “logic” and “reason”.

That’s… something else. You’re suddenly overlooking what’s significant about what men versus women are usually trained to do.

No matter when a decision gets made, men tend to think more often than women do that the decisions they make on the basis of emotions are instead made on the basis of logic.

As a result, I’m sure, men are indeed much less likely than women to second guess their thoughts.

As for women, they often go too far in second guessing their thoughts, and in not even verbalizing them, since the patriarchy’s constant messaging is that they’re too emotional, that men are smarter and more logical, and more.

12 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

And just like all things rooted in misogyny, it’s total baloneyshit. In too many of my workplaces, the chatty people have been men. The people most likely to spread false rumors have been men. The people most likely to have emotional outbursts in meetings, even with clients present have been men. At work, I’m 7 of 9, not Ensign Paris because I am not a man. :rage:

14 Likes

There’s also just the fact that one of the things that can make men very emotional and unable to stop themselves from saying something they probably shouldn’t is the simple act of a woman saying something at all. Particularly if this is an opinion or advice on how to do something or some kind of performance where men are expected to be quiet and listen.

It is a whole other world when your voice being heard AT ALL FOR ANY REASON is itself contentious. Men having to listen to women is a really uncomfortable space for some of them that feels like they are being “emasculated.”

And it still very much is contentious. I doubt you will find many women who are legitimately trying for a ban on male public speech or who want to legislate male clothing under penalty of death, or who openly argue for exceptions to laws against rape or incest to be made to protect the rapist if the victim is male. But you will always find some support for these things even among US born white men even if they are put nicely with appeals to purity and chivalrous protection of the vulnerable and you can find members of Congress right now who espouse such ideas about women.

13 Likes

So highly intelligent women have two layers of impostor syndrome: one societal and one self-imposed.

Ouch.

9 Likes

Hmm?

I think all of that sexist imposter syndrome is societally imposed…

6 Likes

Highly intelligent people tend to have imposter syndrome regardless of sex or gender, though. It might also be societal, then, but it’s another layer, maybe?

9 Likes

More like I didn’t trust myself to say what you just did, and better than I could have. I was hoping for your insight, as I am all too aware of my failings as an observer. Thank you for saying what I was thinking but couldn’t put into text.

9 Likes

Well, can’t argue with the sexist part, but I certainly agree with @DukeTrout that a lot of pretty intelligent people ( :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: ) who absolutely do not have the societal imposter syndrome imposed from without have a lot of internal imposter syndrome shrieking at us all the time. I can only imagine (being a man-of-all-privileges) what it is like to have the added burden of society agreeing with the inner voice and saying that you are not competent to be voicing that opinion or doing that thing. It has got to be exhausting to have to overcome shit that guys like me never even have to think about.

11 Likes

Well…I don’t have to imagine. As a trans woman who transitioned in my 30s, I have experienced imposter syndrome that was entirely my own doing, and imposter syndrome that has been created and/or exacerbated by society, and I gotta say…they are not the same thing at all. Self doubt is a normal human emotion. But when the rest of the world, both by word and by action, treats you as inherently competent, that self doubt doesn’t really do much. At least for me it didn’t. After I transitioned, though, the world, sometimes by word but especially by action, started treating me as if I weren’t competent and needed to prove myself. Having to do that constantly wears away at your self esteem, especially if you aren’t prepared to recognize it and deal with it, which I wasn’t.

I have a real example. I was a mechanical design engineer for HVAC manufacturers for 15 years. I have a BS and an MS in Aerospace Engineering from Texas A&M University. When I first interviewed for jobs, my qualifications were never questioned. After I got some experience, and some promotions, they really weren’t questioned. After I’d been at my first job for about 4 years, I started to interview occasionally with other companies, when I heard about an opportunity. The interviews always felt more like me interviewing them. No one ever doubted or questioned my qualifications. At all. They took the information on my resume at face value and acted like, “Wow. We need this guy. He’ll be great.” The interview would be more about us figuring out if we were a good fit culturally and as far as my career goals went. Then…I transitioned. I quit my job and moved to a new town, and after a few months, I started trying to find a new job. I got an interview with an HVAC manufacturer in Kansas City. The job was for a lab manager/design engineer, the same job I had been doing at my last company for 10 years. I went into that interview, this time presenting as a woman, fully expecting the interview to be like all my others. I was clearly qualified for this job, and, frankly, there was no way they were going to find anyone better than me. And the engineering manager who interviewed me … grilled me on basic engineering principles. Asking me questions about how certain things would affect pressure measurements…and I fucking blanked and answered a couple of questions wrong because I was not expecting that and wasn’t prepared for that kind of interview. I didn’t get the job, and I felt stupid. I started to question my own competence. It happened that fast. One bad interview, and bam. Huge hit to my self esteem. It was about a year before it really hit me what had happened, and it was an epiphany. I was like, “Oooohhhhhhh, this is what women have been talking about forever! Oh shit.”

18 Likes

@fnordius,

I was hoping for your insight, as I am all too aware of my failings as an observer. Thank you for saying what I was thinking but couldn’t put into text.

You’re welcome! Thank you in return for trying to parse out some oppressive forces that masculine dominance tends to impose on women.

I think men do tend to have trouble seeing such forces unless they try, and unless they listen to others who try to point them out.

This discussion is making me think! For one thing, it’s interesting that two other thoughtful men here have brought up the idea of highly intelligent people who suffer from the imposter syndrome. Im trying to figure out why intelligence is relevant here.

For one thing, might bringing that up have been a way of subconsciously inserting men into a budding discussion of forms of imposter syndrome that are inflicted upon and endured by women? (That could also just make sense since this is, after all, a thread about masculinity.) I mean, who gets presumed more often to be highly intelligent, and is thus more likely to think of themselves as that? (men, of course) I find it difficult to imagine high intelligence being brought up in this context by a woman.

Also interesting to me is why it was brought up at all. Not that it shouldn’t have been, but “imposter syndrome” is usually (always?) discussed within high-income, high-education, and “professional” contexts. It’s tough to imagine the term being used to describe someone who’s, say, washing dishes at a restaurant. And yet, couldn’t someone doing that kind of work be “highly intelligent”? Is “highly intelligent” in this context class-based code being used for certain “professionals”?

More to the point, or topic at hand, if highly intelligent people feel imposter syndrome, that’s supposedly internally imposed. Is it, though?

I can think of a lot of reasons why a highly intelligent man or woman might feel it, but reasons that are also imposed socially. Examples include being a younger sibling who was lorded over by an older one, or having a constantly disapproving parent, or being conventionally unattracive and thus teased a lot. Those are also socially imposed. And I don’t see how being highly intelligent (or not) is relevant to feeling imposter syndrome as a result of them.

@danimagoo, I appreciate your story and anecdote, so true, ugh. Being doubted because you’re a woman really can trip you up. And eventually, “Imposter syndrome” grows, a sense of doubt that you belong, because maybe it’s true that you don’t measure up to certain standards. Many influences or forces instill that kind of doubt in a person, including for women, all sorts of patriarchal messages that their gender supposedly makes them inferior – no matter how intelligent they are.

10 Likes

or being conventionally attractive. Nothing like being sexually proposed to constantly by people with power over you and then told you only got hired because people want to have sex with you.

Being told it doesn’t matter what you are good at because your sexual currency is more valuable than anything you could ever accomplish is a great way to make any accomplishments feel worthless and unappreciated.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Sad Yvonne Strahovski GIF by HULU

7 Likes

Bingo!

7 Likes

If only someone had been able to predict that! Sadly, none of us could… /SUPER S!

9 Likes

*not_that_shocked, etc.

6 Likes

I want to be clear: I’m not trying to hijack the societal pressure on women to see themselves as lesser-than men. That’s real, and it’s insidious and horrible. I’ve witnessed it first hand in so many contexts and fight against it wherever and whenever I can.

I do believe it is separate from imposter syndrome, which, as I understand the term, is an internalized feeling that tends to manifest in people with a deep enough understanding of the world, or at least their field of expertise, to know just how much they do not know. It has no socioeconomic baggage in my mind. It is the polar opposite of the Dunning-Krueger effect, where people with very little knowledge of a given subject vastly overestimate their understanding of it, and thus are often very confident in their wrongness. People exhibiting impostor syndrome (it’s not a condition, per se, but a behavior that anyone could exhibit) are often understate their assertions and downplay their competence. I think both behaviors can be exhibited at different times by the same person (engineer’s disease comes to mine).

I hope that makes my earlier post more clear? That I empathize with women who might not only deal with internalized doubts of their own competence but also have that societal pressure telling them that, no matter how freaking amazing they are, it’s never good enough. Overcoming toxic masculinity is one part of the solution to the problem; making sure women are recognized for their achievements and competence, and that their voices are heard, is another part.

4 Likes