Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

Zyn pouches?

That’s just snus. I definitely know more women than men here in Scandinavia (you know, where it actually comes from) that use snus. It’s not a gendered product at all, and nobody thinks it makes you manly.

6 Likes

Well, i don´t know, it looks a little silly/weird…

1 Like

22 Likes

Is that Joe Rogaine with J Peterman from Seinfeld?

6 Likes

That’s not J Peterman.

7 Likes

Literally toxic?

https://archive.ph/mfi5v

A stricter version of high-fat, low-carb regimens like the Atkins diet and keto, the carnivore diet consists of meat, seafood and eggs — period. While some add dairy and a little fruit to the mix, the strictest proponents adhere to what they call B.B.B.E — that is, beef, bacon, butter and eggs. . . . Some of the so-called “meatfluencers” forgo not only carbs but also dishware, eating straight from the cutting board.

A plant-free, low-fiber diet goes against accepted views of what constitutes healthy, balanced eating, Professor Linsenmeyer said. Meat and butter are “very high in saturated fat,” she said. “That increases the risk for cardiovascular disease. If this were my patient following this diet, I would be very concerned.”

There is also the matter of contributing to the warming climate, since meat and dairy production are linked to emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas.

For some, going carnivore appears to be a facet of the optimization culture that seeks self-improvement through so-called bio hacking and other methods. For others, there may be an aspect of flexing one’s masculinity and success through the consumption of beefsteak, a luxury in much of the world. It is notable that online promoters almost exclusively post videos eating red meat, though fish is part of the diet.

11 Likes

Well, they might end up like this (for real):

Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

Here’s the perfect tribute for their funerals:

Bacon Bouquet GIF

13 Likes

Heh. Right?

Seems like one more example of the patriarchy’s blinkered disregard for long-term thinking in favor of short-term gains.

page remains GIF

9 Likes

Their poor colons!

11 Likes

Soon to be semi-colons. :grimacing:

17 Likes

All those wingnut men.

IMG_3805

9 Likes

Oh noes, wrong kind of gains!

8 Likes

Apparently I’ve been very, very gay! :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

Alpha Male Has Nervous Breakdown Attempting To Eat A Banana In Straightest Way Possible

7 Likes
4 Likes

New FD Signifier about a guy I’ve not heard about…

5 Likes

15 Likes

A friend of mine who is himself a very successful businessman and a Democratic Party organizer wrote privately, “I find it noteworthy that the vast majority of pundits who immediately called for Biden to step down are older white men. I hate to stereotype, but as someone in this demographic, I can say as a group we are the most susceptible to stating our emotional, intuitive reaction as a well-thought out rational fact. A lot of men with editorial and pundit platforms had the privilege of emoting to the world almost real time in the guise of a rational argument. I would also argue that the strength of this emotion belies their own fear of decline, loss of respect, loss of power, and death.”

He means that seeing Biden seem frail, tired, and overwhelmed raised their own fears of their own vulnerability and mortality. How do men who consider themselves supremely rational and objective panic? By insisting that they are supremely rational and objective and need to be in control and the person who scared them needs to go away.

[And obviously not everyone who wanted Biden to go away was a high-status white man, but they led the charge and were loudest and most dismissive of the obstacles to starting over from scratch at this point.]

18 Likes

As someone also in that demographic,

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

16 Likes

Not part of that demographic yet, but yeah, it sounds extremely plausible.

2 Likes