Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

My mom passed down that bit of wisdom on my wedding day when she saw me fidgeting with the thing.

13 Likes

Sam Elliott offers apologies… :disappointed:

14 Likes

Attempts to Apologize

Yes, I saw him doing so at that event. His “apology” was mealy-mouthed at best – I’m sorry that what I said hurt people, and not You know, what I said was stupid, sexist, homophobic and just dead WRONG.

Also sucked that it ended with the rest of whatever movie’s cast that is saying We love Sam, he’s a great guy!! Instead of Yup, you done fucked up dude, and you should examine your perspective and beliefs so you don’t blurt out any shit like that ever again.

14 Likes

Man Park, like a Dog Park for men. :joy::rofl::rofl:

Who’s a good boy?

18 Likes

Samantha Bee takes on the GOP’s toxic masculinity:

20 Likes

Just like with the abortion issue, if these guys were truly concerned about dropping testosterone levels, we know how to remedy this. There’s a large body of scientific data tying environmental pollutants to lower testosterone levels, so beef up environmental regulations and then fund the enforcement of such. :woman_shrugging:t2:
The bit was good, but I was hoping she would mention that.

22 Likes

My favourite paragraph:

“Among the frequently asked questions on the conference website are: “Can my son come with me?” and “Can I gather a group of men at my house to watch the conference with me?” To this I say, men: If you have to go to the Stronger Men’s Conference website to ask whether you are allowed to have friends over at your home to watch it together, I am concerned that you have some emotional problems that can’t be solved by monster trucks and pyrotechnics.”

24 Likes

I went to the website and thought, “oh no! We missed it!” But, phew, it’s next year. /s

Also, the answer to the FAQ your quote referenced is equally funny:

That is a great idea! We highly encourage men to gather in homes or churches to view the conference together! We do ask that each guy who is watching either have a registration or use one of your online guest passes.

Just imagining a bunch of insecure men hanging out at a church watching monster trucks and pyrotechnics is humorous and alarming.

13 Likes

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

9 Likes

We did indeed miss it for this year, but registration for 2023 is open. I thought about it, but I didn’t feel right about clicking a button labelled SUBMIT.

Another great quote:

“You see, masculinity is like a cat: If you chase it, it will run away. Curl up with a good book and chill the fuck out, and maybe it will eventually come rub up against your leg. Try it and get back to me.”

16 Likes

Masculinity is like a lobster: wildly misunderstood by Peterson. :wink:

14 Likes

Yes! I love the cat quote :heart_eyes_cat:
I feel bad for boys brought up with this particular notion of masculinity. And all the women in their lives. :grimacing:
And, I don’t study this stuff, but it seems 80 to 90% of what they equate with masculinity is really about confidence. Real confidence, not just acting confident.

13 Likes

24 Likes

Details about the nature of the allegations are unclear, but I hear they included verbal outbursts and inappropriate behavior. Deadline has reached out to Savage’s reps for comment.

6 Likes

This. Whole. Entire. Thread. By Brianna Wu.

26 Likes

:100:

29 Likes

This was a hard read for me.
bell hooks is absolutely bang-on though, and I am glad I read it.
It addresses pretty much what that tweet says.

14 Likes

masturbation is murder, and blowjobs are cannibalism

6 Likes
18 Likes

The author has some good points to make. But for fuck’s sake, everyone needs to stop using the shooter’s photo
Stop using his name. Stop using his photo. Particularly for op eds or articles that are not even specific to this mass shooter

19 Likes