Tracking down the infamous orgasm mushroom

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Very stimulating.

6 Likes

Yes, looks just like a penis and induces spontaneous orgasm in women out of nowhere. Donā€™t forget Believacybe Cortexus which, when merely thought about, induces spontaneous gullibility.

5 Likes

If your penis looks like a Dictyophora, then you are long overdue a visit to your doctor.

7 Likes

Is it a bad sign if your penis induces orgasms in women?

6 Likes

Boing Boing stands revealed as part of the Big Pene conspiracy to conceal the truth.

2 Likes

only if you define ā€œbadā€ the way Run DMC doesā€¦

2 Likes

If it is real, this will be the fastest human-caused extinction in Earth history. Hopefully mycologists can get enough test samples to discover if the effect can be synthesized before the mushrooms are all used up. Otherwise it might as well be a hoax.

1 Like

No, it is a hoax. [Citation above]

4 Likes

Pretty much. Having read the article, the author goes to really great lengths to give the research some reasonable doubt but everything about the paper itself falls apart, same with the hawaiian ā€œfolk taleā€ about the mushroom, local knowledge about stimulating mushrooms (or any kind of mushroom in the traditional lore), the researcherā€™s NDA, etc. Nothing quite adds up. Is it 100% bullshit? Maybe not, but thereā€™s not enough plausibility there.

6 Likes

Kinda reminds me of Dryads in David Eddingsā€™ Belgariad: itā€™s heavily implied, though never explicitly stated, that chocolate gives them orgasms.

2 Likes

Yup, shoulda RTFA. My bad.

2 Likes

Imagine my disappointment pedantic satisfaction to see that Mark has repeated the misspelling from the Discovery report.

1 Like

To anybody who is considering foraging for these fungi on Hawaiā€˜i Island, please be aware that simply by hiking around you may be spreading Rapid ā€˜ÅŒhiā€˜a Death, an epidemic that is killing the culturally-important ā€˜Åhiā€˜a lehua tree.

http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/disease/ohia_wilt.html

These precautions are recommended:

ā€œIf anyone is hiking on the Big Island, you are likely to spread fungal spores that cause Rapid ā€˜ÅŒhiā€˜a Death. Please clean your shoes, gear and clothing after each hike. Decontaminate your shoes by washing in 10% bleach or 70% rubbing alcohol. Spray your backpack and other gear with the same cleaning solution and wash your clothes in hot water and detergent. It is only on the Big Island now ā€“ be vigilant not to spread the spores to other islands. Please spread this message to other hikers. Mahalo!ā€

6 Likes

The original orgasm-triggering mushroom story:

5 Likes

Biebercybe you say? Or perhaps you suggest Biebercide? I prefer the later.

2 Likes

Or maybe just induces them to pretend that it does, much like this mushroom.

2 Likes

Where can I get a veil like that for mine?

3 Likes

Etsy, Iā€™m sure.

3 Likes

Fractal foreskin DO NOT WANT.

1 Like