Traffic jam of robot couriers caused by winter weather

Originally published at: Traffic jam of robot couriers caused by winter weather | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This is why people need to design for the real world instead of a perfect world. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If they had nuclear power packs…

5 Likes

They need larger snow tires! Or maybe little snow chains!

4 Likes

If they had legs instead of wheels, a few cm of snow wouldn’t stop them from delivering food or terrifying children!

6 Likes

Tank treads I was going to suggest…

2 Likes

Our autonomous street cleaning robots are ready for winter

They look like battle bots.

Not gonna lie, was kind of hoping they would square of with each other.

3 Likes

Are they sure that the rovers aren’t meeting to discuss unionization?

9 Likes

Why don’t they just pass a law stating that businesses and homeowners are responsible for clearing their sidewalks? Works in NYC. You’d never see snow pileup like this for more than a few hours and the fines are not low. It looks like Talinn & NYC have similar snowfall amounts.

Ah, Estonia in the Winter, no thanks.

2 Likes

Also, maybe using Silicon Valley-based companies to make products that have to actually deal with weather is a bad idea. We don’t have “weather” here in Silicon Valley. Conditions range from warm and dry to coolish and dry with (increasingly) rarely, a small amount of water falling from the sky. Companies will quite literally not test the effects of snow and ice on products (ahem, like a certain electric car) that get sold around the world.

4 Likes

Is one of the robots delivering U238 to Interpol?
Maybe it’s a heist by TENET.

1 Like

How do we know it’s a traffic jam and they’re not all in the same place, you know, conspiring?

1 Like

Cue the delivery bots with knobby tires and a cask of brandy.

5 Likes

The University of Wisconsin has those robots too, and we get much more snow than pictured, and have hills a plenty. I wonder what the tactic here is, maybe they only go out after the shoveling is done.

2 Likes

Poor little rovers; they just need a bigger chum to clear the sidewalk.

1 Like

I can just picture them, huddled up next to a nice toasty charger port, sipping a nice 5amp DC brew and occasionally glancing at the weather status…

negative. still too snowy. resuming idle mode…

5 Likes

This is my strategy/algorithm too

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.