Trailer for Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/14/trailer-for-doctor-sleep-the.html

2 Likes

What? The Hotel never cleaned up or made repairs?

5 Likes

i enjoyed the book. however, i’m pretty sure the overlook burned down. unless those shots are dreams or supposed to be continuous with the shining movie. the caravan does travel to the site where the overlook was but there’s nothing there.

2 Likes

It’s gotta be some kind of dream-sequence or something.

2 Likes

According to That Wiki,

[Director Mike] Flanagan said that the film Doctor Sleep is an adaptation of King’s novel but that it would also exist “in the same cinematic universe” as Kubrick’s The Shining. The director said he made an effort to reconcile the differences between The Shining novel and film.

So that might include the Overlook being not burned down, abandoned and unrepaired, etc… I guess we’ll all find out?

4 Likes

I love me some Stephen King but really didn’t care for this book at all. (Then again, I also completely hated the entire Mr. Mercedes series, which is apparently not a widely shared opinion.)

This teaser, though, looks super promising. I understand that King was stuck with the ending to his book when he went back to the sequel, which frankly made the entire “back at the location of the Overlook” climax more than just a little bit lame. Tying this adaptation into the movie version of events and vamping on some of the most visceral scares and best scenes from the Kubrick Shining strikes me as a potentially excellent change.

I still remember the original trailer for The Shining with the elevators and the Wendy Carlos music scaring the crap out of me as a kid.

2 Likes

Next in line:

• The Reconstruction of the House of Usher
  • Make Rome Great Again (now with a wall on the - no wait…)
2 Likes

Dr Sleep is what happened to Danny Torrance 40 years after he survived the Overlook. In the novel, the land where it used to reside is still cursed, though the hotel itself is long gone.

Of course, the original novel and Kubrick’s film are two very different creatures, merely spawned from the same source.

3 Likes

I’m realizing I only remember the trailers for the scary movies. They’re all lumped in my brain from that time- The Shining, Magic, Halloween, Alien (jeez even the font was terrifying). I didn’t need to see the movies themselves, I was terrorized plenty already. What’s funny is these trailers were all before G or PG movies. What the fuck were they thinking.

1 Like

“In my novel, the hotel burns; in Kubrick’s movie, the hotel freezes.” Stephen King.

3 Likes

Quick! Go hide under the bed!

get

5 Likes

I know that King reportedly hated Kubrick’s changes and even made his own on-screen adaptation years later, but the fact is that what works best on the page doesn’t always translate to what works best on screen. King is the better novelist but Kubrick was the better filmmaker.

2 Likes

I think I decided that King’s “Multiverse” thing had gone too far when he started inserting himself into his own Dark Tower series.

King: Hi, I’m Stephen King. You might know me from such novels as the one you’re reading right now. I’m here to explain to Roland exactly why I took longer than I originally intended to finish this novel. In the meantime, please let me name-drop a list of some other novels I’ve written that you may enjoy.

Roland: Shut up and get back to work so I can get to the Dark Tower already. I’ve been on this damn quest since before you even tried cocaine.

King: Roger that!

4 Likes

In the King-Kubrick-Clarke multiverse, this takes place in the Outlook:

4 Likes

Really, He has that bad habit indeed…

Will George RR Martin use this same ploy in his books? Explain to Tyrion all the stupidities of the series script?

1 Like

I heard that he was so coked up when he made Maximum Overdrive he doesn’t even have a working recollection of doing it. Which explains pretty much everything about the movie.

4 Likes

Oh the 1980´s!

But for a bunch of teenagers like me, my brother and friends, this movie was ridiculously fun.

Oh, for sure it was fun. I’m just saying it’s the kind of fun that only a chemically altered consciousness could conceive of.

I mean, the whole premise of the movie is that all machines, from electric carving knives to advanced computers, have turned against mankind. And then when King finally needs to wrap up the movie he’s like “uh, OK they blow up the Goblin truck with a rocket launcher and then we’ll just put in a title card saying that the Russians shoot down the UFO causing all the problems with a secret orbital weapons platform.”

So why did the aliens’ technology turn vending machines and electric toothbrushes into lethal devices but actual, advanced weaponry was still working fine?

2 Likes