Trailer out for The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/trailer-out-for-the-dark-cryst.html

8 Likes

I’m pretty happy they’re actually using puppets for this, and not just punting to CG.

19 Likes

Gelflings? I heard there’d be Gelflings!

10 Likes

is it a prequel or a reimagining? i am still confused on this.

4 Likes

Jim Henson Co would never not use practical effects. One of the things that makes Farscape so damn good today 20 years later is that it used practical effects and puppetry…it holds up so well.

5 Likes

Paging our very own Jim Henson expert/alum: @Robbo, did you work on this series?

13 Likes

Alas, I did not. They shot over in the UK and didn’t include any Canadians - this time.

14 Likes

Age of Resistance? Obviously it’s some kind of Antifa film terrorism! /s

9 Likes

The Dark Milkshake

9 Likes

[Shakes fist at clouds] Curses!

I love reading your ‘sausage making’ stories.

10 Likes

Oh sure. But will it be as good as the direct sequel was?

8 Likes

The amount of talent that goes into these types of productions should melt the Sun.

Looks like a fun series! (And strangely topical…)

8 Likes

I’m looking forward to it. I made the kiddo watch the original, and then she could watch the review by one of the youtubers we like:

2 Likes

That looked like an awful lot of CG for a “puppetry” series.

I’ll still totally watch it.

1 Like

It’s a prequel set before the events of the movie.

You know the scene in Dark Crystal where Jen & Kira discover ancient Gelfling wall-carvings and paintings that tell the story of what happened to their ancestors? As I understand it, that’s essentially what this series is about.

8 Likes

Well, I’m excited about this. Beautiful recreation of the original film’s production design.

So glad that Aughra has always been around to tie everything together.

3 Likes

I watched The Dark Crystal for the first time last weekend. I was able to come to this conclusion as I was watching without the lens of nostalgia: The Dark Crystal is a bad movie.

Funny, I watched it for the first time only a couple of years ago at a Fantom Events special movie theater screening and came away with the opposite conclusion.

Super looking forward to this coming out. It looks amazing, and made with a huge amount of care and love for the original.

mmMMMmmmmm!

4 Likes

Gelfling… live?

2 Likes