Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

For a nominally progressive news outlet The Guardian has been a proper cesspit of transphobic bullshit lately, so I thought it was good to see one of their columnists, Zoe Williams, going against the tide.

This bit stood out:

you know who agrees with me? Tory members. The pollsters Opinium did salience research on a 500-strong sample of Conservative members, to find out which issues they were most passionate about. Trans issues, which had been posed as two separate questions (participation in sport and rights more generally), came in at 26th and 27th, in a list of 28.

8 Likes

Arguably too late for that, although she could still become the first transgender Bond girl who gets to be more than eye candy.

ETA: Bonus ‘80s pop culture:

Further edited to add: And yep, the first article covers that already. Oops. Well, this is for those who only read the headlines, or enjoy Power Station.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Got back from vaca to find we are now doing pronoun pins at work. It’s a small step, but we are getting there.

17 Likes

Cool!

I was given one at Pride but it had a corporate logo on it so I bought this one from a young artist on a stall.

15 Likes

freddie mercury GIF

Awwww, so sad :frowning:
Looks like transphobes need to invent a new talking point. /s

Just kidding, why would they let facts get in the way of their bigotry.

Anyway, here’s the study.

14 Likes

“Facts? We don’t need no stinkin’ facts!” As I have said before, if it doesn’t fit on a bumper sticker, it’s too complex for them to consider. If it does, but conflicts with their opinions, they refuse to consider it. I would just like them to climb back under the rocks they have lived under for the last 60 years or so.

12 Likes

30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK

12 Likes

So, this is a theory that I had not heard before, but good to know it is bullshit for when I do…

AFAB makes you more “vulnerable” to trans “social contagion?” I am only sorry someone had to spend research time and dollars proving this wrong.

13 Likes

AFAB makes you more “vulnerable” to trans “social contagion?” I am only sorry someone had to spend research time and dollars proving this wrong.

It’s a pretty common TERF talking point. They like to use it in conjunction with ROGD (rapid-onset gender dysphoria), a theory advanced by someone who asked parents of trans kids on anti-trans websites about their kids’ experiences and made conclusions from that. Needless to say, it’s been thoroughly discredited but somehow lumbers on regardless.

14 Likes

Bigots gonna bigot.

:woman_shrugging:t3:

12 Likes
13 Likes

Health Liberation Now! is challenging the way anti-trans groups weaponize detransition narratives

U.S.-based activist group is finding a way forward when it comes to resisting TERF attacks and fighting for equitable access to healthcare for all

12 Likes
13 Likes

Trans man in the comments - “The pockets are amazing though. They are huge and numerous.”

:grin::+1:

16 Likes

13 Likes

Pockets are a human right!

14 Likes
16 Likes

A win!?

Happy Ftw GIF

13 Likes
12 Likes