Transport for London blames tube delays on "wrong type of sun"

Some stations have curved platforms, so cameras are needed to give the driver a clear view of the whole platform.

it’s sometimes called the sunset effect and airlines called their timed flights 'red eye’
the smart car uses a perforated type visor which works surprisingly well

Crossrail have been building some feersum endjinn under Soho. It’s taken years and cost billions. It had better work after all this.

No, really, dark glasses probably won’t help.

If you are trying to see something close to the sun but below it, you may be able to pull down some eye shade until it just blocks the sun. If you can’t do that, then the sunlight pours into your eyeballs, and scatters about everywhere because the insides of your eyes aren’t black, which gives you veiling glare. If you wear dark glasses, you cut down all the light going into your eyes, so the distracting glare is reduced but the thing you are trying to see is also dimmer so the contrast ratio hasn’t changed. If you are looking for a signal on a gantry above the line, then you are probably screwed.

You could make some large goggles with a slightly-larger than sun-sized-angle dot on both lenses. These would shadow your pupils from the sun, if you moved your head just so. Or maybe something with computers that tracks your eyes, and moves two dark circles on the windscreen.

But not shades.

3 Likes

Whoosh!

1 Like

Portland drivers lose their damn minds when it rains, but I swear it’s worse on the first sunny day after a spell of clouds and rain. It’s like being on the road with a bunch of drunks.

Somewhat related to the topic: the very best time is when the sun comes out right after it’s been raining and you get that hellacious glare off the wet road. There’s one section of freeway coming in from the burbs where, if that happens in the morning, the sun hits the road just right and you will actually hear on the traffic report that it’s wreaking havoc on the commute (and hooray that I don’t live out that way).

1 Like

Uh… so you’re saying the delays are because it’s May.

I was once on a British Rail train that was delayed because of ‘the wrong type of air’. No, really.

2 Likes

Cue joke about the paradox of ‘london’ ‘sun.’

1 Like

I recall that driving into the sun in the mornings used to make my brain shut down (sensor overload error) – it was like I had narcolepsy for about the first five minutes of driving.

1 Like

Does wonders for my blood pressure every time, doubly so if I commute on the motorbike.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.