Tree grows out of drainpipe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/05/tree-grows-out-of-drainpipe.html

3 Likes

Source, please!

(On the face of it this seems rather improbable - the tree could have grown at the top and sent roots down the pipe, but it’s a bit weird the pipe wouldn’t split open before they got that long. On the other hand, it wouldn’t be so hard to fake such a gif, if for some reason one wanted to.)

2 Likes

Looks like a strangler fig. Having seen enough of them do crazy shit in Miami I am inclined to believe this is real.

13 Likes

Does it grow in Brooklyn?

15 Likes

In warm climates, fig and other trees often grow in any place that gets a regular supply of water, including drainpipes and downspouts. It’s something like hydroponics, but you don’t get to choose what plants you get. I’ve pulled a couple out of downspouts in places where I’ve worked; if you want to train a seedling over a rock for some styles of bonsai, the elongated root system is top notch to work with.

11 Likes

life-uh-finds-a-way|nullxnull

22 Likes

Came for this meme. Leaving satisfied.

11 Likes

I’m surprised this is possible, and given that it is, I’m surprised more people haven’t done it on purpose, since it lets you have highly desirable urban rooftop trees without having to support a massive heavy root ball inside the roof of your building.

5 Likes

Yes, the roots grew down - the trunk did not grow up through the pipe.

4 Likes

Sigh, I guess I’d better pull that cute little sapling that started growing in the corner of the gutter before it gets any ideas…:house_with_garden:

2 Likes

I assumed that was the case, but it also made me wonder if you could do it the other way by growing a sapling inside one of those solar light pipe things

1 Like

Perfect, i was going to post this and i’m pleased someone else get there first.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.