Tree root completely surrounded a brick

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/30/tree-root-completely-surrounde.html

4 Likes

Suggestion: door handle? Anyway, sand it, carefully, then wax or varnish it and enjoy the view. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Is there a phablet or ebook reader that would fit in the rectangle? Would be very cool to have a tech holder that “grew” out of whatever surface you wanted to mount it on.

13 Likes

I have an old iPod that would fit. But only since it stopped working…

Because it’s bricked.

15 Likes

Add a magnifying glass/lens into the void and you have an interesting ant burner.

8 Likes

Stick a pillow in there to make a fancy bed for a guinea pig or chinchilla? I assume they’d eat it, but you don’t necessarily want it to last for ever and ever anyway.

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool. My brothers and I used to love to play with Silver Maple seeds as kids, too. We loved those “helicopter” trees.

7 Likes

Make it into a single brick hod.

5 Likes

That was my first thought, too. Would be a great screen door handle. Or a handle for a bag or lunchbox. I made a wooden lunchbox a while back with a curved twig for the handle.
It could also be a cool frame for some art or dream catcher type thing.

3 Likes

Silver Maples: When you decide to trench a power outlet to a point near some century old silver maple trees, and you’ve ALREADY run a reciprocating saw with a tree-pruning blade INTO THE GROUND along the sides of the trench, AND you go to pry up the solid chunk of tree roots, in 95% humidity with cicadas serenading:

1 Like

Have you considered turning it on the lathe? No, I didn’t think so.

1 Like

You could turn it on a lazy Susan.

1 Like

Well played. A down-the-line passing shot with top spin. I didn’t see that coming.

As the son of a hod carrier, I approve this comment.

2 Likes

From the way it’s being held, one could jam four or five drinks in the opening then bring it over to a serving table.

Even weirder, with a little bit of a squint, the grass looks like water at a gravel bar.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.