Watch a treestump become a vase

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/watch-a-treestump-become-a-vas.html

6 Likes

Usually I like to find something to start Monday that reflects our growing sense of anxiety and unease at the accelerating failure of the American Republic

Don’t limit yourself to Monday, Rob, I come here 7 days a week for that.

9 Likes

The unbalanced stump-chunk in the beginning really rustled my automotive mechanic jimmies (plus a lot of internal cringing over how all that trapped dirt and/or rocks had to have chewed up those chisels). But the end product is truly breathtaking.

7 Likes

Creative mind on that man, knows exactly how to make beautiful things.

3 Likes

Just watching him spin that thing up and apply a chisel made me cringe - I’ve turned plenty of stuff and could just imagine if he shoved his chisel in a bit too fast and one of those many branch stubs caught it. He would be picking his chisel out of the ceiling, wall or himself. Keep meaning to try out some rotten wood turning filled with lightly tinted rosin, but you need a vacuum chamber to get all the bubbles out of the rosin effectively and I haven’t decided to invest that much yet. Yet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

823341b6f51e1f58d26b6dcc99be8b0ffc28bb9003767854e9365610435bc8b4

18 Likes

This looks like something @Wanderfound might make (except it would be a bowl)

5 Likes

“Usually I like to find something to start Monday that reflects our growing sense of anxiety and unease at the accelerating failure of the American Republic”

Somehow - thank you doesn’t seem appropriate.

2 Likes

Don’t do this at home kids.

First: Safety shield missing.

Second: Turning something that rough and unstable on a lathe is just a stupid safety risk. At the least, it should have been trimmed down much more before turning.

Third: Safety Shield.

2 Likes

Tall, skinny vases are a pain in the arse to sand on the inside. And I’m not set up to work with resin.

Looked like fairly routine woodturning to me (albeit with a very nice final result).

Turning unbalanced work is not uncommon when dealing with asymmetric pieces, and the imbalance was fairly small; the vibration was minimal. This one of mine shook the lathe more than his did.

Where are you imagining that this safety shield should go? They aren’t standard features on wood lathes.

4 Likes

I’ve always felt that trees themselves were their own vases… in a way. Forget it.

4 Likes

In which the little asshole from The Giving Tree takes advantage of his friend one last time.

5 Likes

This made me laugh more than it should have.

4 Likes

I’m running a lathe right now :slightly_smiling_face:

No, really, actually I am. For my job, I make custom tooling manually occasionally.

You can always cut wood too on a metal lathe, but really not the other way around (unless you really, really know what you’re doing with hand gravers like a watchmaker, and you’re not removing very much, and its brass)

2 Likes

YOU watch a tree stump become a vase, you son of a bitch!

j/k

1 Like

Right? He was wearing a full face mask. I can’t fathom working that much resin while keeping all the chips under a safety shield.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.