Trevor Noah explains why Rogan’s “Planet of the Apes” slur is even worse than his use of the n-word

Originally published at: Trevor Noah explains why Rogan's "Planet of the Apes" slur is even worse than his use of the n-word | Boing Boing

10 Likes

There’s really no getting around the fact that using the term “Planet of the Apes” about Black people is as racist as you can get, and the fact that Rogan won’t own up to it tells you a lot about his character.

And the fact that he won’t own up to it now is all the more fucked up and cowardly in light of the fact that, as Trevor Noah also points out, Rogan directly said immediately after his “Planet of the Apes” quip that it was a pretty fucking racist thing to say.

Rogan owned up to it then, but then shrugged it off at the time because, entitled, selfish white dickhead that he is, the truth is that he wants to say racist shit whenever he likes and not have to suffer any consequences for it. Being held accountable for the racist shit he says is supposedly worse than the racist shit he says.

37 Likes

Trevor Noah is the best. (Particularly given Jon Stewart’s recent deranged comments about vaccine hesitancy and the coronavirus “obviously” escaping a Wuhan lab.)

13 Likes

Ken Jeong Security GIF by Emmys

24 Likes

More recently, John Stewart is one of the people who decided to board the “don’t censor Joe Rogan!” train. Yikes.

15 Likes

Add it to his pile.

15 Likes

Stewart also defended Chappelle’s transphobia. He’s kinda lost it since retiring from The Daily Show.

13 Likes

Unfuck John Stewart too…

12 Likes

Wow, that IS pretty racist. Why do people think this fucker is any good?

5 Likes

Oooooof. Sorry Joe, but if you have to explain you’re not racist, it’s because you are racist. You live in a racist society, you’re swimming in racist notions that you’ve uncritical absorbed and are repeating back. If you were actually “not racist,” i.e. taking anti-racist positions, you’d not have to be claiming you were not racist. (Never mind the white supremacists you invite on your show to vomit up racist pseudo-science.) And saying something racist, even within the context of a story whose ultimate message is, “seeing the movie in a Black neighborhood was a positive experience,” it’s still racist; and not knowing it’s still racist itself shows racism. It’s just racist turtles all the way down.

Because they’re racist. A lot of right-wingers use him as cover - hey Joe’s not racist/right-wing, he’s just “a moderate, rational truth-seeker asking questions,” so if a racist/right-wing belief shows up on Rogan, it means it’s not really racist/right-wing. I don’t know that cover will hold very well, after this.

14 Likes

rupauls drag race bingo GIF

This sums it up…

lady gaga applause GIF

21 Likes

Once again:

18 Likes

She was a wise woman whose books will soon be taken out of schools and libraries in places where Republican dominate… assholes.

13 Likes

Video link for the BBS

5 Likes

To my mind, he lost it before that, with his “can’t we all get along” Rally to Restore Sanity. Too much bothsiderism on his part. Steven Colbert was there, too, but I don’t feel he gives the right a free pass as much as Steward does. Stewart was still using the “few bad apples” theory that hasn’t held up.

7 Likes

I forgot he was still hosting during that rally…I had already kind of checked out on “The Daily Show” his last few years there, though I still had some respect for him.

3 Likes

For a guy whose whole schtick used to be speaking truth to power Jon Stewart really found an odd time to exit—and later, attempt to re-enter—the world of news and political commentary. He essentially skipped over the Trump years and then tried to re-insert himself into the social discourse as if the world was still the same as it was when he dropped out of the public eye.

I just came across this article that kind of sums up where he is now. At least his former proteges (Colbert, John Oliver, Samantha Bee etc.) are still doing good work, as is Trevor Noah.

13 Likes

When John Oliver took over for a few months in 2013 and it was obvious he could do the job, Stewart should have just retired right then

2 Likes

Stewart has his blind spots: Jon Stewart Told Wyatt Cenac to ‘F*ck Off’ When He Was Challenged About Race

4 Likes

To Noah’s comment that Spotify should just own up to keeping Rogan because he makes them money. They’ve done that internally, but I don’t know if we’ve reached that level of “F You! Pay Me!” in our descent into Late Stage Capitalism just yet.

Here’s the quote from Spotify’s CEO made at an internal town hall meeting in response to Rogan’s podcast controversy;

“If we want even a shot at achieving our bold ambitions, it will mean having content on Spotify that many of us may not be proud to be associated with,” Ek said during the town hall. “Not anything goes, but there will be opinions, ideas and beliefs that we disagree with strongly and even makes us angry or sad.”

1 Like