Trickle-down kids' TV: Sesame Street will air on HBO 9 months before PBS

Your argument, while making a false equivalency, was also a bullshit strawman argument.

parents

You have not offered evidence that anyone should believe either of these assertions.

1 Like

Some poor people have HBO, some don’t. Some rich people have HBO, some don’t. Poor kids have a different education than rich kids for a whole host of reasons, this has been the case for centuries, none of them having to do with this HBO/CPW deal which was just announced and hasn’t yet gone into effect. Your outrage is misplaced and/or miscalibrated.

According to a WikiLeaks data drop, the TPP is slated to severely curtail PBS and other SOEs (State Owned Enterprises) anyway. This at least gives Sesame Street a chance to survive going forward.
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-soe-minister/analysis/page-1.html

The HBO deal allows Sesame Workshop to produce nearly double the number of episodes a year (35 instead of 18), with higher production value, as well as produce at least one spinoff series… So in the long run, kids that don’t live in households that have HBO will get more and better content than they would otherwise.

Add into this the fact that the majority of funding for Sesame Street came from DVD sales which are clearly losing out to on-demand watching, and you have a situation where Sesame Street could go away completely for everyone if it doesn’t adapt to the times - PBS isn’t going to pay them more to keep them afloat.

I totally sympathize with the idea that this is somehow going to damage the self-worth of young kids by getting content 3/4 of a year later, but I can’t help but feel like this is the better of the two outcomes, where they end up with a (potentially) better show instead of no show at all.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/business/media/sesame-street-heading-to-hbo-in-fall.html)

2 Likes

You argument, while citing the names of logical fallacies, is also 100% contentless.

Is watching someone nine months later actually, literally, factually different (not “for all intents and purposes” or “effectively”), yes it is. Was Sesame St. specifically crafted to educate children and then lauded as being remarkably effective at doing so? Yes it was. Are poorer children less likely to have HBO? Yes they are.

Poor children. Education. Different.

You don’t think that difference matters, i.e., you don’t care about that difference.

I get it. Durr hurr hurr I’m dumb. You actually, really don’t care about that difference. You are sure it doesn’t matter in the real world. I disagree, and you don’t care. Am I wrong?

4 Likes

[quote=“FabForrest, post:17, topic:63770”]way more sex and violence[/quote]There’s precedent.

2 Likes

You should check out the Wellesley studey: http://www.wellesley.edu/news/2015/june/node/62406

“Children who were preschool age in 1969 and who lived in areas with greater Sesame Street coverage were significantly more likely to be at the grade level appropriate for their age through school,” said the authors. “Living in a location with strong reception instead of weak reception reduced the likelihood of being left behind by 16 percent for boys and 13.7 percent for black, non-Hispanic children.” [emphasis added]

7 Likes

True. But you can’t get from there to “Having HBO or not has literally nothing to do with poverty,” if you’re not just making baseless assumptions. So there’s still no evidence for your disputed claim.

True.

Does not follow from your earlier statement. This is, again, a baseless assertion without evidence.

Without any truth to back it up, your statement can be safely disregarded.

What’s that line again…?

Oh yeah.

Hey, that’s not fair. You’re citing information from the f-----g article itself, not from the pull-quotes, or those sections we’ve cherry-picked to support our preconceived notions!

1 Like

Bert and Ernie are not the most logical stars for season 3:

4 Likes

I think this is reasonable, but also why American conservatives should apologize to their children. With the roaring (international!) success of Sesame Street, we should all be throwing funding their way like it is a stereotypical rap video and we are making it rain, instead of forcing them to accept some small infringement on their true agenda in exchange for staying alive.

2 Likes

Are you… trying to make a corporation feel better?

2 Likes

Those who live budget mindedly will pay attention to deal. My HBO is free because I signed up for free HBO. If your just an average person and not paying attention you will pay $14.99 for the programming. You maybe surprised at how many of these premium channels you can get for free if you just pay attention.

It’s not as if this is even the first PBS kids’ show to get “paywalled.” LeVar Burton bought the rights to Reading Rainbow and released it as a subscription-based app, after all. Even ran a huge Kickstarter that brought in $5 million to expand its reach for use in schools and such, and last May launched a new subscription-based “Skybrary” library of video episodes and e-books.

Where’s the “paywall” indignation there?

1 Like

With all the outrage for HBO and Sesame Street signing a contract to keep the show in production, I have one question.

When was the last time you donated to PBS or its state equivalent?

Thank you, good bye, end of discussion.

3 Likes

You are full of shit. That’s really all it comes down to. Thanks for playing.

This is fantastic. No one, myself included, is dismissing Sesame Street. Also, no one is taking Sesame Street away from people who don’t have HBO. That’s really not very hard to understand. Also, relying on Sesame Street to ensure that poor kids succeed in school is a terrible state of affairs. How about, you know, improving the educational system itself?