Trickle-down kids' TV: Sesame Street will air on HBO 9 months before PBS

It makes zero difference whether a four year old watches a Sesame Street episode that came out yesterday, versus one that came out nine months ago. They will learn the same stuff. No one is taking away their Sesame Street. How hard is that for you to understand?

EDIT: Sesame Street made 25 episodes last season. HBO will be making 52 new episodes, all of which will be shown on public television for free. Public television can show all the reruns they want out of the back catalog going back to 1969 until the new episodes are available. Those old episodes are the best anyway.

It makes no difference that you care about, no difference that you believe matters. Whatever our opinion of the effect of the the difference between Sesame St. now and Sesame St. 9 months from now, it is factually different unless you start telling me Tuesday is Wednesday. Of course, we could have been talking about how children may be affected this whole time if I have provided anything of substance to actually discuss, or if you cared to engage instead of attempting to limit discussion on the matter as a game in which the person with the better vocabulary of argumentation terms wins.

I came to lament, I stayed to be snobby towards the basest form of argument - fallacy naming. That no one is taking away Sesame St.; that there will be more episodes made; that I agree that the older episodes are better; and that I think that this is probably a good thing for Sesame St. given the state of things as they are - all of those things are irrelevant.to whether or not my initial post contained a false equivalence. I think invoking irrelevant facts in the hope to distract from the issue is a logical fallacy of its own, is it not?

You also called it a “strawman” when a strawman is presenting a weak version of your opponent’s arguments and I never represented anyone else’s arguments at all. Can’t even be bothered to look up what these things mean before you throw them around.

I don’t think that would’ve been as effective in 9 months.

I think a free broadcast over-the-air for all was a great use of US tax dollars. From the study:

• Sesame Street is one of the largest and most affordable early childhood interventions ever to take place.
  • Effects are largest for children living in economically disadvantaged areas.

That’s no longer the null hypothesis. We have 25 years of data, which strongly support that same-time access to Sesame Street most benefited the disadvantaged groups that needed it most.

Consider the classic episode of Mr. Hooper’s death.

The farewell episode aired November 24, 1983 (Thanksgiving Day). Loretta Long noted, in an interview on The Tavis Smiley Show, “We were very careful to do it over the Thanksgiving holiday, where there would be a lot of adults in the house to help the children.”

When will the non-HBO kids get this same type of lesson? at a similar holiday 9 months later? or does it get bumped to the following thanksgiving?

Sesame Street helped to level the playing field in early education. This HBO privatization creates an educational “fast lane” for children of privilege.

5 Likes

So your argument is, essentially, that the value to kids of having twice as many episodes of Sesame Street per year plus a spinoff Muppet show, all with a bigger production budget, is less than the value of watching those episodes at the same time as the kids’ HBO-equipped peers? That’s an interesting theory. Curious to see how it plays out.

1 Like
1 Like

And?

I don’t know if some of the outrage is tongue in cheek or not. But the majority of HBO subscribers are not filthy elitist 1%ers. They are in fact TV watching folks who like good programming! As well as a huge contingent of gaming geek culture who must have their Game of Thrones time.

If HBO is helping to fund better and more Sesame St programming, that’s quite awesome! And having 3 kids of my own I can say without a doubt Sesame St lessons never tire or age. They last and last and having them air later on PBS isn’t going to change the validity of the message one iota.

1 Like

The horror doesn’t end here.

Did you know that there are some children who don’t have access to HBO or PBS? Children who don’t even know what Sesame Street is? How did people learn things before educational television?

I fear the new Dark Ages, people roaming the streets not knowing how to count things
 ah ah ah

Oh, we did! Common Core!

Citation, please?

All I can find is that, after the show was cancelled, Burton raised money to continue it as an app.

Which is free.

Although you can pay more to get more than the 100 free books it comes with.

Which isn’t exactly a paywall.

AFAICT, the rights for the show remain with PBS, who just aren’t broadcasting it. Like they aren’t broadcasting 20-year-old Sesame Street reruns, either.

I agree with that first sentence, but I don’t agree with the second.

I was born in 1969, and I strongly believe that watching Sesame Street is what led to me being able to read before my fourth birthday. My parents had six other kids, my younger sister required much more parental attention and involvement due to her Down Syndrome, and I didn’t attend preschool. What else taught me to read?

Have any of you guys watched Sesame Street lately? I last watched it regularly around four or five years ago, when my daughter was a preschooler. One of the things that struck me was just how much of any given episode was assembled from recycled material from vintage episodes, some dating back to when I first watched the show as a kid. Once the show started shooting in HD, it was kinda weird to see the black bars popping up during all the old 4x3 material.

The show, wonderful as it is, has been held together with bubblegum and baling wire for too long. Do you realize that there are over 4,300 episodes that have been made in the last 45 years? Up until the late 90s, they used to shoot 130 of them a year, which strikes me as mildly insane. That’s a whole lot of content, much of which can still teach kids to read as effectively as it taught me.

The fact is:

What HBO is doing is handing a financial lifeline to Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization that makes “Sesame Street.” Sesame Workshop has lost millions of dollars in recent years amid sweeping changes in the media business. Revenue from donations, distribution fees paid by PBS stations and licensing for merchandise sales have all been trending downward. “The losses just kept getting bigger and bigger,” Sesame Workshop CEO Jeffrey Dunn said in an interview with CNNMoney. “We were faced with no ability to make the show going forward.” So the group “cast a wide net” and “talked to pretty much everybody in the industry” about possible distribution deals. The priority, he said, was keeping the show on PBS in some fashion.

Unlike its heyday in the 70s and 80s, Sesame Workshop produces a measly 18 new episodes a year now. Under the HBO deal, they’ll make 35 new episodes a year. Who knows, maybe they won’t need to recycle so much old material anymore. Yeah, it’s “trickle-down kids’ TV,” but the alternative was for Sesame Workshop to go under altogether. This isn’t all that much of a deal with the devil as it’s being painted to be.

The day you show me an entitled four-year-old crowing to his less-advantaged colleagues that he gets to watch the brand-new episodes of Sesame Street rather than having to wait for them to be rerun on the Poor Kids’ Station is the day I eat my hat.

What was Sesame Workshop to do, say “No, HBO
 you either air the new ones free on PBS immediately or no deal”? They’ve spent nearly half a century pimping for new sources of revenue, and nobody’s buying their DVDs and Tickle Me Elmos anymore. Short of some philanthropist propping up their expenses even more than they have been for the past forty-five years, there really was no other solution available to them.

And are the kids getting hurt by this? Really? I mean, Mr Hooper died over thirty years ago. Do we really fear that the up-to-the-minute episodes are measurably “better” than 9-month-old reruns? Why weren’t you guys bitching about this years ago, when you first noticed how much recycled material was going into new episodes to cut costs?

6 Likes

After Reading Rainbow went off the air in 2006, Burton and his business partner, Mark Wolfe acquired the global rights to the brand and formed RRKIDZ, a new media company for children.

https://www.google.com/search?q=LeVar+Burton+and+Mark+Wolfe+bought+the+rights+to+Reading+Rainbow

1 Like

That’s the brand, that’s not the extant episodes. Also note that they did not buy up the episodes and put them behind a paywall – the show was already cancelled when they started their actions.

I’m not sure that the logic that monetization of a publicly funded/free resource while the original resource remains available (or in this case enhanced) is evidence of “separate but un/equal” holds.

No one argues that NestlĂ© taking water from a municipal source, bottling it and selling it at a horrendous markup results in “separate but un/equal” access to water resources. More likely it is regarded as some people having more money than sense.

This entire post and comment thread is overwrought, but I can’t let this pass by:

The reason Separate But Equal is rightly in the trash heap of history is because it was a pernicious lie. The doctrine was explicitly about providing inferior resources to children based on their race. To ignore the evil of the systemic racial suppression by providing clearly inferior educational resources and equate it to feelz is appalling. Shameful

I guess I would be outraged if it were removed from PBS altogether and only aired on HBO, but thank God that is not the case.

2 Likes

That, however, would still be the same content. The alphabet isn’t changing on a 9 month time scale, so that probably is OK. Honestly, I’d prefer my kids to watch only the early Sesame Street episodes.

There is a better argument as to why the move might be bad. HBO’s money might slowly push Sesame Street to cater to its richer demographic and worse, greater expectations of profitability.

2 Likes

A lot of the non-repeated material was clearly done single take, which I think helped. Also, you got to see the adult actors kinda forget their lines and drop things which was endearingly human.

2 Likes

No, people argue that Nestlé is privatizing a public resource, threatening lives and exacerbating ecological crises in the process.

Nestle bottled water operations spark protests amid California drought

Bottled Life

1 Like