Trippy infrared flyover of Jupiter's swirling north pole

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/11/trippy-infrared-flyover-of-jup.html

2 Likes

Eight, you say? Spooky coincidence - my planet has eight too:

(although they’re a bit disrupted at the moment, as the planet seems to be running a fever)

4 Likes

Suddenly, I want pizza.

4 Likes

Earth is just years away from producing the same!

Oooo I did not know that!

That’s SUSPICIOUS

Real question though: on a gas giant of a planet, what constitutes the “surface”?

Sorry, this is all I can think about when I see this video. Now I’m hungry.

Homer%20Pizza

1 Like

They’re not some CGI mockup

I wouldn’t go that far. A probe gathered the data, but the visualization is entirely computer-generated, including the movement through it.

Honestly, I don’t know what isn’t CGI in astronomical imagery these days. Even what seems to be a straight-up photo is usually stitched together, might include non-visible spectrum data, or is otherwise a merging of various data sets collected over time. Which is fine, but I find myself less impressed by it.

2 Likes

The “lush” detail is in fact just a height map visualized with a 3D surface. I.e., this is not what clouds on Jupiter are actually shaped like. And this is not what clouds on Jupiter are colored like, since this is not a true-color image, it’s an infrared one scaled to visible frequencies.

Still pretty neat, but compare to this real-as-hell video of coronal mass ejections from the Solar Dynamics Observatory.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.