Truck has secret mechanized compartment to hide tools

Originally published at: Truck has secret mechanized compartment to hide tools | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Having lost tools to theft, I can really appreciate that build.

10 Likes

Having lost tools to theft, I wish I could do that with a motorcycle.

8 Likes

I really enjoy how the wheel-well cut-out allows you to get close to the tool shelves without bending over as well.

8 Likes

Pick-up trucks are dumb. Why not just use a van https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodworkingarchive.biz%2Ftool-chests%2Fimages%2F1392_395_302-van-tool-storage.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Don’t get t-boned.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s at least one truck that comes like this factory spec but I forget what it is

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

4 Likes

And where does he usually park at night?
Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Until they steal the whole truck.

1 Like

Well, just for one example—did you happen to notice the large gasoline-powered generator in the bed of that pickup truck? Carrying filled gasoline cans inside an enclosed van is asking for trouble.

I have a van. I’ve also owned pickup trucks. They are both immensely useful vehicles but they aren’t necessarily interchangeable.

8 Likes

This is America; shouldn’t there at least be a missile in there or a machine gun?

9 Likes

The last time I hauled a few hundred pounds of compost in the back of a minivan it took weeks for the smell to recede, and I had used a plastic sheet to keep it out of the fabric.

6 Likes

Have you considered, that on the few occasions you haul manure, you just rent a trailer?

Yes, I do use trailers often.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that everyone needs or should own a truck. But the argument that a van is appropriate for everyone’s needs is also ridiculous. A contractor hauling around tools and gasoline powered generators is exactly the person who should have a truck.

Edit to add: I’m not generally a fan of trucks but I’ll admit I’m a bit excited about the prospect of the new Ford Maverick. It’s a 5-passenger hybrid that, at $20k, costs less and gets significantly better MPG than a Toyota Camry. Good luck finding a van in that price range.

2 Likes

7 Likes

That’s what the glove compartment is for.

3 Likes

Only if you are planning to remove gophers from the yard.

1 Like

And it becomes completely useless when hit by one wind-blown shopping cart. Brilliant!

Can’t find it right now but within the past week there was a video on Reddit or Digg of a pick-up truck whose rear light cluster swung up and from the cavity some sort of machine gun emerged on a sliding rack.

2 Likes