Truck tire sends Kia Soul flying

Wow, those are terrible. Probably most dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists. :disappointed_relieved:

I got it from someone else here on BBS. :smile:. It’s a great word because everyone knows exactly the trucks you’re referring to when you say it. We all know them.

9 Likes

That needs a name. Carspreading?

3 Likes

Having checked online they’re called swangas or slabs

5 Likes

10 Likes

The ones that you see on semis are chromed plastic caps on the lug nuts - not really dangerous, they will break easily, and more used as a reminder to stay clear because the visibility of surrounding traffic is terrible in a semi.

Now that thing you posted a picture of? I don’t know what that is!

1 Like

Why the wheel came off is still under investigation, CHP Officer Weston Haver said. Authorities initially said sheared-off lug nuts apparently led to the pickup truck’s tire detachment

as for the wheel spikes posted by @Grey_Devil

4 Likes

For other cars. Maybe.

4 Likes

Until road debris gets hooked in those spindles, or they get slightly bent and produce amazing vibration.

4 Likes

Sure, there’s issues involved with driving cars like this, and you can’t forget that your car is a solid foot wider than normal, but most of the damage caused by these happens to the car itself, with the swangas occasionally hitting a curb or lamppost and causing axle damage.

As usual, Jalopnik blissfully ignores the existence of cyclists and pedestrians (and dogs and mail boxes and yard signs and and and…) :roll_eyes:

Otherwise good context for what we’re seeing there. Thanks for the link!

8 Likes

I was aghast at the video until the return tire made me burst out laughing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.