Trucks vs. Tree stumps

It’s amazing to see all the potential Darwin awards here. I learned long ago from my grandfather who was a farmer that chain/cable/rope can all recoil with deadly results. Grandpa always put an old tire in-line with the chain and he never jerked it. Always slow even application of force.

Grandma taught me the best way to deal with a stump was fire. She was a smart lady.

8 Likes

Bless the dummies who think it’s a better idea to accrue expensive repairs for their seemingly invincible toy, rather than just pay a random craigslist person $50 to just chainsaw the stump flush to the ground.

When I was a kid, I had an uncle who was one of those guys who always seemed to have a backhoe and other equipment around, and all I knew was that he did heavy construction, drove big dump trucks, and was the guy you called when you needed a large thing moved/pulled/cut down. Yeah, he had an old beater pickup truck with some ridiculous torque, but in his words “The truck is for pulling shit that is on wheels. The bulldozer is for pulling everything else.”

He’d have rather cut off his left arm than risk screwing up the truck trying to pull out a stump.

16 Likes

One can rent a chainsaw fairly cheaply… If you’ve got a bit more scratch, you can get a bobcat.

2 Likes

Some trees don’t die just because you’ve cut the stump down to the ground - if you do that to a Manitoba maple, for example, all you’ve done is coppiced the tree. Great if you have a wattle and daub house to build in a few years, not so great if you want the tree gone.

5 Likes

Dodger, that.

It was indeed very good.
Once your back wheels have ended up the air a couple of times, wouldn’t it just naturally seem like a good idea to lower the chain on the stump?
(You probably missed that part.)

1 Like

I was disappointed that there were no instances of the stump winning.

Aside from the obvious “paying a professional to do it”, if you’ve decided to go down this path, wouldn’t heavily saturating the ground with water before hand go a long way to making this a lot easier?

2 Likes

There’s something that I find very charming about the Tennessee man whose truck stalls. Looks like whoever put the bumper stickers on the back of the truck is a lefty, too. One of them is for Harold Ford Jr.

tumblr_mv3vjmKf7G1qdlh1io1_400

16 Likes

Hafta admit … I’ve wasted enough time on YouTube to know that often, it does not go that well.

1 Like

phht. even newton knew that :wink:

okay and probably leibniz. ( hmmm. an alternate history where truck stump pulling becomes the inspiration for integral calculus? i see some issues. )

that’s a great idea. i thought some heads were going to explode :crying_cat_face:

[edit: number of steps to reach alt right content in an incognito browser? 1. that side bar. yikes. thanks youtube for making america great. ]

4 Likes

I would hazard a guess that it would largely depend on the type of soil. Saturating it with water could make some soil types grip onto the entire root system even more, making it much harder to pull up.

3 Likes

I just had a stump about 18" diameter removed by a guy with a stump grinder. Takes it down to a foot or so below soil line, the remainder rots quickly that way. Cost me 50 bucks and no wear and tear on the truck.

6 Likes

I just sold my house a week ago. Take that front yard stump. No engine revving required.

4 Likes

I will admit to having done this. Twice. Once with a '90 Toyota pickup and once with a '91 VW van. Although both times it was at the end of much digging and chopping of roots and it went very easily. Quite satisfying actually. I would almost always prefer vehicle damage to a blown-out back.

Yup, stump grinders are awesome bits of kit.

Spoiler Warning

Disappointed by the lack of axles getting ripped out.

2 Likes

Misread this as “Trump vs Tree stumps”.
For once I am disappointed. :wink:

4 Likes

Intelligence test?

2 Likes

We hired a guy to do that. He wrecked a blade on the stump then gave up.

1 Like

Not sure but I want to hear more about these Trump Grinders. I think one of those and a big 4x4 could yank that fucker out of office with enough revving.

3 Likes