True Detective drops more hints about the possible identity of the Yellow King [Recap: season 1, episode 6]

Seriously, you’re debating the John Deere mug, and no one has mentioned that Tuttle’s tie and pocket hanky were yellow?

1 Like

There was that brief splash where the Segway was supposed to change the world’s traffic patterns forever, right around that time.

I think the inclusion was an ironic call back to that time, by the director. See how some things which were hyped up with such a huge splash, just really don’t matter years later?

The man with the scars.

I was thinking maybe it’s a meta review on the nature of the unreliable narrator… that has to be it right? Two big “clues” that are held to have meaning, but which are wrong in the first place.

1 Like

I double checked this very thing. The Segway came out in 2001. The scene is from 2002. So it fits just fine in the narrative.

1 Like

I agree with this completely. The show has 8 episodes to develop characters. So focusing on 2 is hard enough…3, 4, or more would be impossible for a good show. The bed they have made here is to focus on these 2 detectives. everyone else is is really cannon fodder for their character development. Even Maggie, who is the 3rd most developed character on the show…clearly.

I do not think what they are doing is misogynistic from a writing standpoint. Perhaps Marty and/or Rust are misogynistic, but its not for bad purposes.

HBO has been posting the music used in each episode. Here is the page for last night’s http://www.hbo.com/true-detective#/true-detective/episodes/1/06-haunted-houses/music.html

1 Like

Also, he hasn’t had a paying job in 10 years. He’s too broke to fix a broken taillight. Hence the ““Better yet, why don’t you buy ME a drink” line.

Why are we still seeing spoilers in headlines ffs?!? You might be on episode 6 but in the UK we’re on episode 1. I now go in with the expectation of a Yellow King.

THE INTERNET IS INTERNATIONAL. NOT FUCKING LOCAL TO AMERICA!

Put a spoiler warning in the headline and indulge yourself in the article. Christ why am i having to explain this???

funny.

I believe if you re-watch the epsode you mention at the beginning (episode 4 where the drug raid goes wrong) you will see the action takes place not in a project in New Orleans, but in Beaumont which is in Texas though very close to Louisiana. (The biker gnag is from Texas, Rust emphatically tells Cohle to monitor the Beaumont radio frequencies and the shots of traveling on the interstates show the Beaumont exit signs.

At some point, Rust stared too long into the abyss and developed a bad death wish. When he left the force, he was accusing powerful people of being part of the conspiracy. Then he caught himself and went off the grid.

My beef about their assult on the hideout is the one I always have with cop shows - armed with only their puny service weapons they into the lair of heavily armed bad guys. Hey, they need some assault weapons - that’s why they’re called that for pete’s sake. Or at least shot guns. With their pistols, they could have been pinned down by rifle fire without an effective way to return fire.

1 Like

Just lazy, really. And Marty doesn’t tell Beth to “find something better”. He tells her to “do something else”.
And two reviews back, he calls Bridget Moynahan adequate, and now she’s a fine actress being wasted.
But the worst part is the “narrative”. I get that Pizzolatto can’t help himself from having Cohle say it two or three times an episode. But saying it every two paragraphs in the reviews does not make one sound smart or cool. Just lazy again.
Save me from the narrative. Get a thesaurus.

One detail I found very interesting - from the “man’s world” perspective of the main narrative, Rust is clearly the main suspect (“how can you trust a man who can’t tust himself with a beer?”). However, the only female perspective to speak of seems to have a far different picture. Maggie’s big line about “crude men who thought they were clever” is clearly a reference to Marty, but she has a much higher opinion of Rust (knew Rust to be a good man, man of integrity, responsible).

Is Maggie just showing regret over having used Rust, which led him to quit the force, or does her emotional perspective reveal something deeper about the characters of these two men? As the only strong female on the show, and potentially the most sympathetic character, I think we should pay close attention to what Maggie has to say, especially when it contradicts the main narrative voice (which has been shown to lie and cover up).

Which is exactly why nobody in the English-speaking world should have to suffer with months of delays while overpaid TV execs hang around “working” schedules. It’s 2014, one could torrent the episode an hour after the original transmission.

Direct your rage to the real target, dude: your local content mafia.

Well, she tells you in plain English in mid-episode: Rust is a man who knows what he wants (and goes about getting it despite his obvious flaws). Marty does not understand who he is and what he really wants (so ends up being a slave to his juvenile instincts).

To me, that statement was the most inscrutable thing that Maggie said. What does Rust want?

To me he seems just as much a slave to his instincts … he can’t resist the call of the hunt even when it puts his job and life at risk. He sees ghosts everywhere that call out for justice. Rust has little choice but to follow, he is just very deliberate about how he does it. Recently though we’ve seen several interrogations where Rust either got physically or psychologically violent. Was Maggie deluding herself about Rust because he was kind to her?

At face value, Maggie was probably talking about Marty’s inability to contain his sexual urges (juvenile instincts), but he has obvious violent urges as well (a man’s game).

I fear that we might be heading some place really obvious, in that the murders involve antlers, and our hypocritical detective’s last name is ‘Hart’.

bah humbug