Trump administration considers a centrally planned economy to deal with coronavirus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/28/trump-administration-considers.html

15 Likes

This confuses the Tucker Carlson.

40 Likes

IOKIYAR. This is a concept that must be kept in mind at all times.

23 Likes

I don’t want to brag or anything, but the democratic and capitalist utopia of Switzerland already has this. :switzerland: :balance_scale:

Today, the Confederation declared a “situation particulière”, which gives the government extra options to intervene in society during an epidemic. They have already banned public events expected to attract more than 1000 people.

If you read French, see the law, and the related law on supply of goods during serious outages.

The next step up from “situation particulière” is “situation extraordinaire”, which is way, way into “zombies are walking the streets” territory:
(from https://www.bag.admin.ch/dam/bag/fr/dokumente/mt/epidemiengesetz/factsheet-epg-lep.pdf.download.pdf/Factsheet%20LEp_f.pdf)

With respect to transmissible diseases, one must expect in the future also the unpredictable arrival of serious and imminent threats for the public health for which the law does not contain specific rules. In such a case, where there are threats to internal security, it must be possible to intervene in a rapid and targeted manner. The “law of necessity” provided for in the Constitution permits the Federal Council (like the president in the USA) to rapidly take measures concrete in case of unpredictable existing or imminent threats which threaten gravely the public order or internal security. Compared to “the particular situation”, the “extraordinary situation” cannot be specified precisely in the law.

24 Likes

Annnnnnnd watch all the contracts go to trump luv’n companies.

61 Likes

who will pocket the money and make substandard products at outrages prices…

35 Likes

And that’s all anyone has to quote to Trump to sell him on the idea.

40 Likes

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

However, many of my loved ones are in Switzerland at the moment and while I wish they did not need these measures, I am glad they are in Switzerland for them rather than anywhere else on earth.

7 Likes

This really is Nixon, the second time as farce.

Some of us remember when, after running for re-election to prevent McGovern from micromanaging the economy, Nixon implemented price and wage controls to keep OPEC from causing runaway inflation.

Spoiler: it didn’t work.

36 Likes

It does not. Anything trump does is “good” even if it’s the very things he normally rejects. He’s a classic authoritarian mindset, believing in whatever dear leader says or does as for the best.

31 Likes

I am Swiss. I’m pleased that my government has prepared, and that there are not yet zombies on the street.

20 Likes

This, exactly. Fucking authoritarian bootlickers. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

15 Likes

Like China! Look how well they are handling it over there! OOOH we need to imitate that right away! /s

9 Likes

focus their production efforts on things that would benefit the country

This obviously means producing MAGA masks to protect citizens from the Corona virus.

18 Likes

Seriously, if Trump adopted Bernie Sanders platform exacatly, people like Carlson would be promoting it as the greatest thing EVAR instead of stalinist plot to end freedoms.

40 Likes

See also

19 Likes

Oh God, don’t make that widely known! He’ll be talking that up by this evening as “The YUGE step to BIGGLY fix this problem!”

6 Likes

10 Likes

Ugh. I just realized we are on a countdown to someone suggesting to Trump that polling places are a threat to public health.

42 Likes

See my previous comment about him using this as a pretext to cancel the election. I hate this timeline sooooo much!

31 Likes