Trump and the psychology of doom and gloom

The referenced article may be one of the clearest and most straight forward explanation of the Trump phenomena.

My own interactions with people of all political stripes impressed on me the belief that people are engaged in thinking about politics mainly through popularized narratives of cynicism towards everything including government, business, science, religion, and of course politics.

Few people, when I ask about their opinions ever talk about themselves. It’s about the collective narrative as a whole, and they usually end up repeating the talking points you hear on right/left (among other) sources. It’s about participation in a mass of cynical belief that everything is awful.

People endlessly reference 1984, but the reality is that as of right now that vision of the future is rather dead. We have something different. It’s almost like it is prosperity driven non participation and cynicism. We now have wars of information to win over slivers of a disengaged public who believe they are living such awful lives the entire system needs blown up but not before they are done planning their vacations for next summer.

3 Likes

Neither of which are going to make voters less cynical.

Just remember to impeach Pence first, people.

…aaaaand they’re doubling down that that refusal to learn a goddamn thing

4 Likes

The zeitgeist needs to practice some mindfulness.

1 Like

Are you sure? I think if voters knew that they wouldn’t be challenged and that they actually HAD a vote to cast, we’d see better turn out and more confidence in results.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.