Trump begs SCOTUS to intervene in his criminal sentencing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/03/trump-begs-scotus-to-intervene-in-his-criminal-sentencing.html

11 Likes

If Trump gets SCOTUS to interfere in his state trial, some Democrat (maybe Hillary Clinton, to avoid even the appearance of President Biden interfering) should demand SCOTUS dismiss the charges in Hunter Biden’s gun charges trial. He was just exercising his Second Amendment rights, after all! /s

11 Likes

“It would create an unprecedented Constitutional crisis if someone with a felony was running for President and got elected. It would grind government to a halt.”
–Donald Trump, three days before the 2016 national election.

43 Likes

What a crybaby. He knows very well that he won’t see the inside of a prison cell. Being a non-violent, first offense probably means that he’ll get fines and/or probation. I wish he would just retire from politics already. He’s a train wreck.

4 Likes

Yeah, first-time nonviolent offenders never get prison time. /s

22 Likes

Hey, this means I can appeal my parking tickets to SCOTUS, right?

13 Likes

My gnawing fear: republican operatives do whatever they can to (metaphorically?) take a dump in all the ballot boxes they can; the election thereby gets thrown to the Supreme Court… trump’s supreme court. Some of us are ancient enough to recall hanging chads and how the supreme court gave us the Iraq war, for example. -sigh-

20 Likes

This is the plan. They have made it as apparent as they can – if they lose they will steal it with local/state assistance and a congress and SCOTUS that are complicit.

21 Likes

I can’t wait to hear what excuses people who are constantly whining out state’s rights and federal overreach come up with for the federal supreme court to interfere with a state court.

13 Likes

How do you figure? It’ll take a while to wind through state appeals, but once he’s exhausted those, eventually he’s going to try to put it before the USSC - and given the makeup of the court, it’s a near certainty that they’ll come up with some bullshit pretense to take it on.

7 Likes

Capone had priors including prison time for a weapons charge. I hear what you’re saying though.

5 Likes

Emphasis on credible.

9 Likes

On the upside, as long as it’s likely to take, he may no longer be polluting the Earth with his presence.

2 Likes

“will make a decision which will determine the future of our Nation?”

That makes Trump look pretty afraid that he’ll lose the vote because of the outcome of his sentencing.

I hope his fear keeps him up at night.

10 Likes

Maybe John Gotti would be a better example, though murder conspiracy was one of his convictions.

4 Likes

It will take a long time. The U.S. Supreme Court has no original or direct appellate jurisdiction over state criminal convictions. Trump would first have to appeal to the intermediate court: the Supreme Court, Appellate Division. If he loses there, he would have to petition the Court of Appeals (New York’s highest court) to hear his case. Only after that petition is denied would Trump be able to get into federal court, starting with a habeas corpus petition in federal district court—here, the Southern District of New York. Even then, he would have to tether his assignments or error to some violation of the U.S. Constitution and not merely a violation of a state constitution or state law. The case would then work its up through the federal court system to finally arrive at the U.S. Supreme Court if and when the Second Circuit denies him relief.

13 Likes

Who are they going to use as the next bugbear to blame once Soros kicks off?
We all KNOW it’s just thinly veiled antisemitism.
I’d be zero percent shocked if they just started saying the quiet part out loud though.

5 Likes

th-375613246

6 Likes

Well they’re still blaming Marx every chance they get and he’s been dead for over 140 years so I wouldn’t be surprised if they find an excuse to keep invoking Soros’ name.

9 Likes

200w

2 Likes