Trump brags of new ‘super duper missile’

We recently watched Filmed in Supermarionation (per BB recommendation). One scene in their western Four Feather Falls shows a puppet with firecracker explosions going off around and behind him as he ridiculously puppet-ran. We busted out laughing at that! I wouldn’t change one damn thing about that scene. I think, though, that they could have later set up a system that ‘walked’ the puppets: The camera set at floor level, a slotted floor through which a sliding, geared affair connected to the puppets’ legs would both realistically ‘walk’ the puppets’ legs while also moving forward with the puppet. The puppeteers would only need to control everything from the waist up and keep up with the forward moving mechanism that walks the puppets. I imagine that would have taken a lot of practice for the puppeteers to succeed with, but we’re only talking about very short scenes cut into the film. I admit, though, that that would have been not as cool as seeing the Thunderbird and Captain Scarlet characters being slid into their seats like so much loose rubbish. :wink:

6 Likes

There, FTFY.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Highly recommended for folks who might appreciate a non-traditional musical:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290794/

Featuring an assortment of quality Oz folk/country musical artists, mix of Irish-Australian and Indigenous Australian musical influences.

The two lead white characters are played by Paul Kelly and Kaarin Fairfax (who are married in real life), both of whom can be seen (much younger) in the vid for this Paul Kelly classic:

Sample scene:

Full movie:

7 Likes

It ain’t jus’ th’ law; it’s Trump’s tiny-fist destiny.

15 Likes

DUCK: The duper feature was supposed to be a secret

4 Likes

Wow, who knew Estes was now a defense contractor. I feel much safer knowing that the Big Bertha has been upgraded to the Super Duper.

3 Likes

“I don’t think that Trump should be hauling garbage. He should be hauled away AS garbage.”

It’s important that we counter the Russians

https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/est0816/est0816.htm

3 Likes

In principle, an orbit-launched rod could be undetectable right up until the last minute or so of its flight. But for that to be true (and to be even vaguely economical) it couldn’t burn huge amounts of fuel to deorbit itself, so once you decided to attack a target, you might well have to wait hours before any given rod was at the right point in its orbit to be dropped on the given spot.

Orbital weapons also violate treaties fwiw (I suppose that’s true of at least some ICBMs, once they were launched, though it’s a bit late for the legal system at that point).

2 Likes

Same thought. Many glorious summer days spent with explosives and projectiles, with no adult supervision. Good times!

5 Likes

No,no, that takes stinky shit and makes it acceptable. What is the opposite? The Donald Trump super duper global anus?

7 Likes

Oh gods, I had forgotten about Billy West’s Zapp Brannigan quoting Trump videos.

The fourth one has Zoidberg quoting the letter from Trump’s doctor

I nearly choked from laughing so f*cking hard for so long thank you!:rofl::laughing:

3 Likes

Relevant bit is at the end of the song…

Finally of course, I got through. It was, after all, American-made equipment. And the customs agents were all talking about the effectiveness- no the beauty, the elegance, of the American strategy of pinpoint bombing. The high tech surgical approach which was being reported on CNN as something between grand opera and the Superbowl
Like the first reports before the blackout, when TV was live and everything was heightened, and it was so euphoric

5 Likes

Totally - modern sewage treatment systems are wonderful in reducing our environmental impact (compared to what we used to do with the stuff), and like most critical infrastructure - widely underappreciated. Was surprised to learn how recent their development was, all post-WWII (for the large scale urban bio-types). They’re sensitive living machines that can be destabilized by fluctuations in the expected “input levels”.

2 Likes

imag super duper es

12 Likes

Huh, I just remembered, I once used the expression “Super duper” to a class of Polish businesswomen after a particularly strong response to a question I’d just put to them. It means something quite different in their language:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/yoursay/false_friends/polish/super_what_englishpolish.shtml

1 Like

Awww… that reminds me of the time the local group the Silver Scream spook show screened Frankenstein, and they did that bit with Frankie (they gave out CDs of some of his songs that month)… They were supposed to be screening Bride of Frankenstein this weekend, but they’ve moved it back to June, but who knows if they’ll get to show it.

:pleading_face:

4 Likes

I am very sensitive to the importance of these bits of infrastructure. The town where I grew up, Fairmont WV, was known into the 70’s as the largest metropolitan area in the country without sewage treatment. The West Fork of the Tygart River used to have clumps of toilet paper floating it it. Yeah, even back then we thought it was insanely gross, but no one was willing to pony up the money, even though the feds would have paid most of it.

6 Likes

Yeah I doubt an orbiting rod (and its associated control systems, thrusters, etc) would be invisible to radar. So if the US launch one its going to be flying over Russia a couple of times per day and they now have years to study the thing and think of profitable ways they can exploit it. What if it accidentally collides with a Russian launch vehicle, and crashes into Beijing? The rod will be identifiable as coming from the US, and no amount of argument will explain the resulting situation away.

1 Like

7 Likes