Trump can't even win 'worst President'

download (11)

1 Like

Quality over quantity, I guess? /s

From what little I know about Harrison, much like Trump, he was an insufferable blowhard that scoffed at the sound health advice of others and became gravely ill as a result.

5 Likes

The Civil War didn’t actually take place under Buchanan’s administration, he merely helped set the stage for it. So the jury is still out on that.

We are a long way from knowing the final death toll from Trump’s mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic. So the jury is still out on that one too.

8 Likes

Not to mention the lasting damage to the survivors - from those suffering from long haul symptoms, to those that lost family members and friends, to those of us that are even less trusting of others than before, to an entire generation of children many of whom will have lasting psychological effects from prolonged isolation.

I have a feeling that it will be many years until the full scope of Trump’s massive fuck-ups in the COVID response are truly known and understood.

6 Likes

“It was rigged!”

Well there was the whole end of the cold war thing, though I imagine he mostly lucked into it.

But Reagan gave amnesty for undocumented immigrants living in the United States. I couldn’t even imagine a Republican offering anything approaching that these days.

The conservative Supreme Court recently decided that repeat asylum seekers can be held in prison indefinitely without seeing a judge. Habeas Corpus no longer applies.

3 Likes

Great graphic. It’s Trump bleeding from the wherever.

Yet.

Yeah, he was pretty bad. In the Before Times I would have put him and Buchanan on the bottom, with Harding not too too far above. But now I have Trump joining those three. Not sure where exactly, but in that same fustercluck. But I’m no historian.

And as bad as Johnson was, they only impeached him once. Trump was impeached as many times as all the previous 43 presidents combined.

At least he had the good sense to cark off. Trump still hasn’t done that, but I’m counting the days.

2 Likes

I’m no presidential historian… I don’t think studying punk gives me much say in a list like that as it covers time periods and topics that aren’t my field… but then again, Kevin Mattson just wrote a book on punk and his field seems to be political history… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

From the “yes, and” balcony: add all the newly homeless and or jobless, all the shuttered businesses (and we know which demographics were hit hardest), and the general rending he did at the seams of our already tenuous national unity. The degree of this guy’s damage will take years to fully understand.

5 Likes

This discussion of the illustrious Reagan demands a rerun of an old favorite:

11 Likes

I hesitate to give Reagan credit for that, when a lot of the direction of Trump’s admin has its roots in the Nixon era.

1 Like

I count U.S. lucky that :tangerine::poop: had neither the competence or work ethic to do the damage the GO₽ wanted.

2 Likes

Certainly needs a “…so far.”

3 Likes

Oddly enough, Trump’s evil has been tempered, in effect, by his incompetence. If he had actually accomplished what he set out to do, we would be arguing these points in a post-apocalyptic hellscape over a tire fire rather than on an internet BBS.

9 Likes

And thank fuck for that small blessing.

14 Likes

It is, but I worry his misbehavior has set a roadmap for someone(s) more competent and equally malign.

I mean, it might not quite be on the scale of the Trail of Tears, but I think with the concentration camps along the border and child separation he technically did.

11 Likes

Don’t underestimate the international effects, as well. There are a lot of proto-fascist global leaders who followed 45’s lead and caused millions of excess deaths worldwide.

4 Likes

three days after the election

Josh Hawley is mentioned, but that was before the insurrection.

3 Likes

I actually just don’t believe this. I think that people who have what it takes to be real authoritarian leaders are always going to be incompetent by the standards of people who are used to running a functional society. Fascism is madness. A competent person would stay the hell away from it.

2 Likes