Trump could be put in jail for his attacks on NFL players

Keep your hopeless defeatism to yourself, please.

This statute won’t likely be enforced, but that doesn’t mean the man’s deserved comeuppance is impossible, or “will never happen.”

12 Likes

FTFY. 

16 Likes

If you see something say something and split the winnings here with us:

hustlertipline@lfp.com

13 Likes

Can we donate to raise the reward?

7 Likes

1 Like

Not too put too fine a point on it, but, while he likely has millions now, I can easily imagine him and his minions finagling bigly deals and such that swell his holdings to billions (perhaps even in part as a deal for leaving office). OTOH, he’s gone bankrupt many times, so he may well leave office with even fewer millions than he has now. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

6 Likes

wow, they sure did nuke the souls out of those trees.

It’s partisan in that it’s opposed to free speech. Whilst the Republicans may not be opposed to free speech (or at least will be able to pull up enough evidence of their commitment to it), it’s the more fringe sections of the right opposed to free speech that it’s partisan in favour that could be cited as relevant to the law. Proving that he is in favour of these groups could be gleaned from his repeated failure to condemn the actions of such groups,

Partisanship relates to a cause, the law doesn’t even state political parties and the use of the term (partisanship) in media as only referring to the two mainstream parties is not the law’s concern. If it’s a cause that people can be proven to believe in it should be fair game under my reading of the word partisan.

3 Likes

Sweet, sweet textualism!

1 Like

Someone should tell Larry

Gosh, thanks for joining just to post rain on the parade! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For rich people “tax evasion” is simply another word for “legal loopholes”, and functions exactly the same.

2 Likes

Eh - not going to hold, my breath. Best bet is collusion with Russia, but since Putin isn’t an idiot I expect there to be plausible deniability.

Trump has been most successful at licensing his name. Granted he still has some true believers, but overall he has destroyed his name with every one else. I see your prediction coming true.

Its good enough for me - lets press charges.

2 Likes

He’ll be held accountable just as soon as ordinary Americans decide to hold him accountable.

Waiting to be rescued by Congress or the Courts is not the way to make that happen, however.

4 Likes

uuuhhhhh … so I used to have a couch like that, and when I put it out at the curb “Free to a good home” that wasn’t exactly what I meant …

1 Like

Its generally held in legal circles that a sitting president can not be charged with a crime while in office. Instead the commission of a sufficiently serious crime becomes the basis for impeachment. So even if this interpretation of the statute were valid, and Trump could be charged under it. The next step is still for Congress to draw up articles of impeachment built around that crime. Trump would need to be impeached. Removed from office. Then he could be charged with a crime.

That’s what Ford’s whole preemptive pardon of Nixon was about. Nixon resigned, Ford pardoned him before he was charged. And Nixon got to leave office without risking jail time or having his involvement proven in either congress or the courts.

Good luck, and godspeed. The law never works that way. Especially if you cite what you think is a commonsense interpretation.

2 Likes

A government that was capable of prosecuting this creep, would have not found it possible to elevate him in the first place.

3 Likes

Trump has isolated his personal wealth from his business interests by setting up all his ventures, deals, rackets or whatever as LLCs. The profits flow into his pockets, the losses come out of someone else’s pockets. The law is like that; those who understand it use it freely to circumvent personal responsibility.

1 Like