Trump cuts 2020 census early: deadline is October 15 (that's today!)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/15/trump-cuts-2020-census-early-deadline-is-october-15-thats-today.html

7 Likes

Every time I see this phrase I want to slap all the “Democrats are just as bad!” people across the face.

RBG’s replacement hasn’t even been confirmed yet and Trump has already corrupted the Judicial Branch in ways that will impact American life for generations to come.

33 Likes

It’s infuriating! And disheartening, to say the least.

22 Likes

The Census Bureau claims that 99.9% of residences have been included in every state except Mississippi (99.7%) and Louisiana (98.5%). I wish I could believe their numbers. The really depressing thing is that everything in this administration has been so partisan and corrupt that even historically nonpartisan departments like the census can’t be trusted

22 Likes

They are lying; don’t ever doubt it.

18 Likes

On the local news last night in my area, they were talking about having census non-response rates of 40% in some local cities. (or maybe that was response rates of 40%)

3 Likes

The posted self response rate is ~70% for most states with the census bureau claiming to have already contacted almost everyone that didn’t respond. As has been already said, though, this claim is unfortunately not very believable

10 Likes

Thank you for the reminder. The envelope has been sitting next to my monitor waiting for my attention.
Just finished the census. Took about 40 minutes.

7 Likes

Is this actually directly from the Census Bureau, or from some political mouthpiece? One of my HS friends works for the Census Bureau, and is about as conscientious a guy as you can find; I don’t think he’d let something like this slip by.

5 Likes

It’s absolute B.S. I live in a city of approximately 150,000, and we have achieved a 74% response rate, including the limited door-to-door canvassing they were able to do during this pandemic.

4 Likes

Been procrastinating on this - just submitted online. Thanks for the heads up!

10 Likes

Weirdly, there is bipartisan, bicameral legislation pending to extend the deadline. Even one of my usually evil senators, David Perdue of GA, is a cosponsor. I’m baffled, but there it is. Let’s hope they can get it through.

4 Likes

Here’s some more info:https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/politics/census-supreme-court-trump-administration/index.html

2 Likes

Can you provide a link to the Census Bureau claim on this? Normally they’re pretty contientious and wouldn’t release an obvious lie like this. There are few options.

1. This is a statement from a politician, not the Census Bureau
  2. The number is misinterpreted. Maybe it’s 99% of expected recipients?
  3. Some incompetent Trump mouthpiece is in charge at the Bureau and is just saying whatever the president wants to hear.
2 Likes

Where I live < 50% of households have responded.

1 Like

Its from the census website. Numbers posted today. They give their definition of terms beneath the data.

5 Likes

So that number is the sum of the households that responded and NRFUs. It says NFRUs are:

Percentage of housing units enumerated in NRFU: The percentage of total housing units resolved in the field during the Nonresponse Followup (NRFU) Operation (excludes self-response). Cases completed in the field for Update Enumerate and Remote Alaska Operations are included in this rate to ensure coverage of the full housing unit universe. This rate does not reflect the progress within the NRFU operation as it is relative to total housing units and not just the NRFU workload

The last line is very confusing. Are they saying they’ve identified all of the houses that have not responded, but have not personally paid a visit and been explicitly denied?

3 Likes

Yes that line is confusing. I had read it to myself several times and concluded that it is unitelligible. If you really want to take the time, here is the link to the full NRFU document. Relevant definition of the workload below. If I’m reading it correctly, it means what I wrote in my previous post. That the Census Bureau says they’ve followed up on almost everyone that didn’t self-report getting a total of people from 99.9% of residences counted.

The enumeration universe is the complete set of addresses for living quarters that are enumerated for the 2020 Census. The NRFU universe is a subset of that enumeration universe. It comprises the set of addresses for living quarters that are housing units in TEA 1 and TEA 6 for which the Census Bureau has not yet received a response. The NRFU universe size is dynamic in nature—addresses that require verification or are discovered in the course of enumeration are added to the universe.

The NRFU workload is defined as cases that are being verified or enumerated by field staff. The NRFU operation is characterized through both its universe and its workload. The NRFU universe contains all cases eligible for NRFU, while the workload is the set of cases that are actively being worked in the operation. So, an individual case is always in the universe, but may not necessarily be in the workload. An example of a case that is in the universe but not in the workload is a self-response that occurs after the NRFU universe is created. When self-responses are received, these cases are removed from the workload but remain part of the universe. One of the definitional differences between “universe” and “workload” is that the NRFU universe is never reduced and only increases during the operation, while the workload both increases and decreases.

3 Likes

Reading that it seems that the second column isn’t useful for our purposes, as it is the NFRU universe. It’s the houses that didn’t respond by the deadline, so in fact the third column should be near 100% by definition. The only households omitted are the ones the Bureau doesn’t know about. Families living in the deep woods off of the grid, people wandering the country in a van, stuff like that.

What we really want is the NFRU workload, which isn’t on the chart as per the notes at the bottom. That’s what will really matter with the shortened deadline, how much of the workload remains unresolved.

3 Likes

No, they say the 2nd column is based on “total housing units resolved in the field during the Nonresponse Followup (NRFU) Operation.” It isn’t the universe, it is the ones that have already been resolved.

3 Likes