Trump defeated: 2020 Census will not contain citizenship question

Guess what?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/trump-says-absolutely-moving-forward-with-census-citizenship-question.html

9 Likes

Is there a penalty for lying on the census? I mean a real penalty. Not like when someone lies in Congress, or at a White House Press Briefing.

If not, take a page from their playbook and lie like the wind, Bulldog… “there are six of us living here, all of voting age, all Republicans. God bless America.”

4 Likes

I think the census relies on the cooperation of the people to return the forms. Otherwise, they have to send someone out to verify things. It might be possible to destroy the usefulness of the 2020 census, if enough people, on a massive scale, refuse to cooperate. Obviously, this is contigent on the presnence of the citizenship question-- administrators have been known to lie before.

This article describes how the bureau tested the citizenship question.

The couple are among 480,000 recipients nationwide of something known as the 2019 Census Test. That went out as a letter from the Census Bureau earlier this month. Each letter lists a personalized code and directs recipients to a website that poses 20 questions."

AFAIK, the results of that test provided statistical evidence that such questions should not be used.

3 Likes

Beyond disobeying the Supreme Court, his own Commerce Secretary and the Census Bureau say they’re already printing the census forms without the question. Is he imagining they’ll send everyone in America a postcard that says R U A CITIZEN (Y) (N)???

8 Likes

He’s a thinker, that guy.

4 Likes

For a limited value of “work”.

1 Like

He’s forgotten, or never knew, that his people have already given up on that whole issue.

He thinks it’s still up for debate and the final decision is up to him.

• CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS
  • TRUMP WON’T REMEMBER TOMORROW
0 voters
1 Like

unfortunately he has a full suite of executive departments to jump when he says “frog!”

see here–> BREAKING: DOJ Says It’s Been ‘Instructed’ To Try To Get Citizenship Question Back On Census - TPM – Talking Points Memo

1 Like

I will attempt to translate the purpose of the citizenship question from it’s native Trumpanese: “Fuck California”

4 Likes

So if the census forms do have the citizenship question after all, what’s the best way to protest? How can we fuck up the census without spiting our own?

Just say “yes”?

Thread:

1 Like

Keep in mind that Trump is like the villain in a horror movie. Every time the hero thinks the villain has been vanquished they are wrong. If you declare Trump defeated you are jinxing yourself, just like people did in the 2016 election.

3 Likes

USSC: “we’re okay with the antidemocratic racism, just try not to be so obvious about it, okay?”

7 Likes

Constitutional crisis then :disappointed:

The lawyers are not even trying to win anymore. Their goal now is to lose as quickly as possible.

3 Likes

sadly, that represents the best-case scenario.

3 Likes

When contemplating the GOP, and especially Donald Trump, it is important to keep one thing in mind: the cruelty is the point.

“Oh, so we didn’t count all the immigrants in your city and now you don’t have the requisite federal dollars to provide for everyone? Hah! You shoulda deported those losers.”

6 Likes

Yesterday’s transcript of a telephone hearing on this topic featuring an uncomfortable government attorney: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M3Y6vj3QlQpSdlYcCdq3BkbnnWIrEPlf/view.

The tweet this morning was the first I heard of the President’s position on this issue, just like the plaintiffs and Your Honor. I do not have a deeper understanding of what that means at this juncture other than what the President has tweeted. But, obviously, as you can imagine, I am doing my absolute best to figure out what’s going on.

Hard to represent your client’s position to a court when the client’s position keeps changing, and when your chief client representative can’t stop tweeting (and also combines extreme narcissism, moral weakness, and apparent mental decline).

8 Likes

so if the census question does appear on the form, what’s the best way to protest?

1 Like
1 Like